Baby Robin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DennisW

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I thought I would share a cute story with everyone. A week ago, I found a baby Robin that had fallen from it's nest in my front yard. I took my ladder to look at the nest and unfortunately, all of the rain had destroyed the nest. I couldn't put him back. So, Donna put the baby Robin in a shoe box with soft cloths, etc. This bird had no feathers, but the quills had grown out on the wings. Later in the day she talked to a neighbor that is interested in these kinds of things. The neighbor loaned Donna a book that explained how to take care of wildlife. Donna put the shoebox away, put the Robin in a bowl with paper towels and a night light to keep it warm. Then she bought some Turkey Starter food and we began feeding this bird every 10 minutes. We moved the bird into a cage yesterday. Good thing too. Now, a week later, the bird is only eating every 30 minutes. It is fully feathered and today is in my office because Donna left for Florida this morning. This morning the bird decided to begin walking (actually hopping) and has tried several times to get out of the cage. Before this, all it did was eat, sleep, and poop.

When the neighbor lady gets back from her vacation, she has promised to continue with the bird until it can be released.

Here are some pictures. The first is about 3 days after we rescued it, the second was last night.

Awwww--I love that kind of story--especially when it's a robin!

You're so nice....

RobinG:
Awwww--I love that kind of story--especially when it's a robin!

You're so nice....

You would like it, wouldn't you. Although I would bet you wouldn't like getting fed with a tiny paint brush. You put the Turkey Starter mixed with water on the end of a small paint brush (the kind you would use for a model airplane) and shove it down the birds throat. The book says this is the only way to get them to eat when they are small. It works.

I'm glad someone thinks I'm nice. :)

man, what an awesome job you two have done! gotta love it

Thanks for sharing. And all the best to the baby...

Great job,
Grier

I have to commend you on your endeavor, and congratulate you on having the patience of job

frenchy07:
I have to commend you on your endeavor, and congratulate you on having the patience of job

Right now as the bird is getting kind of rowdy, it does take patience. I'll be happy to turn it over to the expert this evening. It still won't eat on it's own, so the rowdiness is a real pain.

Good for you.
I'm like the biggest animal lover and try to help out any time I can.
A few years ago I raised a Green Wing Macaw (same bird as the old mascot here) from a fledgling.
Required lots of spoon time.
Today this bird thinks I'm it's signifigant other :07: .
I'm slightly concerned about your baby though.
I'm not an expert by any means but am wondering if it will be able to adjust to the wild or be a pet.
Could you ask your local wild life rehab center for some advice?
It might be best for the youngin to have some expert care/advice to further it's rehab prior to being let loose.
Good luck to you.
Mech

Back
Top Bottom