Back in the water again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AfterDark

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Dive 2075 6-23-19 Sunday Newport Kings Beach 1st dive of 2019 Solo

Finally, 6 months into 2019 I'm in the water again. After rotator cuff surgery, a full knee replacement, injections into my spine, and a self inflicted wound that took 20 stiches to close, I am able to dive again. I got a great day for it too!
Sunny, incoming tide, light WNW wind, vis 10-15' surface temp 66 at max depth 63.

I donned my dry suit and one of my LP 72 steel tanks, grabbed my metal detector and walked into the water. Had a few issues along the way, had to readjust my chest strap to fit the dry suit, got my float line tangled on my reg/valve while putting my fins on. During the dive my reg started free flowing I tried a few things to get it to stop but finally switched to my octo. It was a short dive, by the time I got submerged I was overheated and sucking air like a hoover vac. It seemed just as I got to a good area, I hit my turn around pressure. After 31 minutes and a max depth of 23FSW the dive was over. Saw a lot of life, small bait fish, togs, scup, the scup like to follow you around, What looked to be the same scup kept appearing during the dive. I'm not sure if it's curiosity and territorially.
The only bad thing that happen was my new knock-off go-pro flooded.
A nice dive to start what I hope is a lot of diving this season.

Sunday Newport Kings Beach 1st dive of 2019

Curious - how was the viz?

Way to go. I'll be starting my own journey back into the water as my leg heals a bit more.

Way to go. I'll be starting my own journey back into the water as my leg heals.

Heal fast, good luck. Even a bad dive is better than PT rehab!

I participated in football as a "pulling and running guard" in HS and part of college-
And had two knee operations on my left knee by age 20

I also had been a YMCA swimmer since I was 7 or 8 years old and do to the chlorine-- or lack of chorine in the Y pool I contracted a very serious eye infection- so my parents purchased a set of goggles - That was the beginning of my life long obsession.

I became a very strong life long obsessed swimmer/diver (?)

Suggest that you swim and dive often as part of your PT

The important thing is get well and back in action

All the best for a speedy recovery

Sam

No limbs fell off or anything? I just had to deal with mom’s severely broken leg, sorry I couldn’t deal with yours.

No limbs fell off or anything? I just had to deal with mom’s severely broken leg, sorry I couldn’t deal with yours.

Thanks, but that's ok Mrs. AD has been taking care of my injuries for 45 years, she does a great job.

Back
Top Bottom