Back Injury From A Back Roll

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rainmaker

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I made 12 dives in Cozumel last week. All entries into the water were done via a back roll.

On my final dive, I injured my back. When I rolled into the water, it felt like I had rolled over something on the railing of the boat as I slipped into the water. My lower spine was impacted in the vicinity of the tail bone (the bundle of nerves at the base of the spine). However, when I reached the surface after entering the water, there was nothing on the boat railing. I thought perhaps I had rolled over one of my hoses, but with the way my hoses are configured, it is not very likely.

I know my tank was clear of any obstruction before I rolled off the boat. This being the case, I'm not sure if it is possible that my lower spine had impacted the boat railing as I rolled backwards, but that is what it felt like.

My back hurt, but I finished the dive. Five days later, I have no pain when standing, bending or lifting, but I get a sharp jolt of what feels like nerve-related pain when I sit in such as way that I'm putting weight on my lower spine. I can avoid the jolt of pain by leaning slightly forward when I sit.

I have a history of chronic lower back pain, which I control with a strict regimen of diet (keeping my weight down) and exercise.

If anyone any ideas concerning what caused this injury (and also how to prevent a recoccurence), I'd greatly appreciate hearing them.

I have a history of chronic lower back pain, which I control with a strict regimen of diet (keeping my weight down) and exercise.
It's back.

Your attending physician who has treated your back should be consulted. I've done a lot of back rolls, and I cannot imagine anything like this happening to a healthy back.

One question: Any chance you were borderline bent from the previous dives?

You need physician consulted. I done most of the dives, never happed on my back.

It sounds like you were not positioned correctly....sitting too far foward of the edge. The thing about backs is....not much you can do really. Hurt mine jumping out of airplanes in the service and from time to time it sure acts up. Surgery is ALWAYS the last resort.

My old partner herniated a disc in his back when putting on his socks! I also herniated a disc in my back by stretching. It can happen from the wierdest things. Go see your MD. With my injury, physical therapy brought me back to 100%. Surgery is an absolute last resort.

Thanks for the info and suggestions.

I think the most likely scenario is that I was sitting too far forward of the edge, and my lower spine rolled over the edge of the boat as I entered the water. It is a lesson learned the hard way; however, I'm very glad this happened on my last dive, and not the first one. Otherwise, my entire trip would have been ruined. As it was, I just had a painful trip home.

My condition is improving each day, and I expect to be back to what passes as normal in 5 - 7 days. Surgery is not an option as long as I can put one foot in front of the other.

Back
Top Bottom