Back on a Dolphin, how the world turns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Life-Is-Good-Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well, after 2 years of leaving the rebreather world, and going back to O/C, I found myself shooting UW Photography, and having a ball with it. You can see some of my UW photos here : Flickr: Photos from fltekdiver

So after shooting UW water pics for the past few months with my new rig, I found myself spending hours again reading about R/B's and posting back on rebreather world, and hanging in the R/B crowd again.

So, today I finalley decided to go back to a Dolphin again, which yes I'm selling one on Ebay here : Drager Dolphin Scr Rebreather with extras in great cond - (eBay item 160181544797 end time Nov-27-07 08:04:17 PST)

That was my rebreather I sold to a good friend, and your probley wondering why didn't I buy his, or mine back?

Well I sold it to him for over 3k back two years ago, so he's invested into it, and wants $2,500 at least for it.

I decided to go with this one at $1,500 today, and I'll probley get another VR3 with the P adaptor for it, and next year when i goto CCR, the VR3 will go with me.

Here's the one I bought today : Drager Dolphin Rebreather w/ Extras & Oxy Gauge!!! - (eBay item 200174667828 end time Nov-17-07 13:59:19 PST)

Let me say, diving has taken me for a full 360 degree turn, taken me places I never thought i'd be, and broke someday if either don't give up #1 diving, or #2 my wife, because it's hard to fund both :wink:

A few years back, I was getting into R/B's for tech diving, and I started with the Dolphin, to grow into a CCR, and get used to the whole R/B feeling. Then I sold my Dolphin to my friend, and went back to diving O/C where I was comfortable, and thought I wouldn't go back to R/B again.

Then, the world took a twist on me, and one day I deceided I'm just getting to old to be dragging around all those doubles, and deco bottles etc, and wanted a simpliar diving. I went out and purchased my DSLR UW camera set up a few months back, and love it. Now I have memories everytime I come home, and can look back on picutes I took for years.....

So then i thought , How neat would it be to be back on a R/B taking pics, and after a few weeks of thinking do I really want to go back down the R/B route, I said, what the heck today, and bought another unit !

I'll see how it goes, it will take alittle used to going from a very streamlined Halycon B/P and wing set up, back to this bulky thing again, but I should enjoy the little bubbles she blows,and the quitness of the beautiful ocean around you again, that will take some time to get used to, man, you can hear ALL AROUND YOU, being on a R/B, even a SCR R/B like the Dolphin.

So I'm keeping my fingers crossed, and hoping this works out for me again, and looking foward to taking some awsome shoots getting " Closer " to the fish

I'll be going on Vaction down in the Keys for a week over Thanksgiving, leaving Monday am, but will return replies back to the post when i return, good to be back haging around the R/B forums again !!

Also I wanted to say hi to Douglas, and Caveseeker7, and both of them were always so helpfull back in the past when I was involved in this part of the sport ! Thanks guys!

Nice purchase - that auction caught my attention earlier today. Are you planning on a conversion to CCR? I've been in front of the screen since 7am doing R/B research. :wink:

>>went out and purchased my DSLR UW camera set up a few months back

Just getting into underwater photography myself. Yesterday I purchased the underwater case for my Canon A710IS and thinking about an Ikelite strobe for it. Not anywhere close to a DSLR setup but it beats the "take pictures with $10 UW disposable, have them developed, scan into computer" route that I've been doing...

Nice purchase - that auction caught my attention earlier today. Are you planning on a conversion to CCR? I've been in front of the screen since 7am doing R/B research. :wink:

Thanks, Whats not shown in the auction is he included two other 27cf tanks also with Drager valves

The Oxygauge was a nice add on also, so I dont have to rush out and buy the VR3 today, so over time I can absorb some of the cost

Yes, I'm seriousley considering the conversion , and may end up doing that before next year, but to soon to tell, as my eys been on a Sport Kiss, which is really what i want. I like the fact the sport kiss has the triple sensors, and its a great rec unit, perfect for what i want to use it for.

It will be nice going into the winter having the warm R/B and warm air to breath :wink:

You sound like me, I must have spent days withen the past two weeks, reading all the rebreather forms , its addicting ,lol

Good luck, you think you may get one, and if so which one are you thinking about ?

I also saw your into R/C helis, and planes, I fly both also, and have a few hanging from my ceiling :)

that's a cool story. I know what you mean by twists and turns in direction. My wife and I went for the full eCCR deal and a year and a half later sold our evos (fully automatic, no modifications) and switched to the Copis meg, dumped the electronics and installed the Shearwater GF and HUD (pics and a walk through here: http://flickr.com/photos/11439506@N07/sets/72157601443280110/). It is really interesting to see how peoples thinking shifts. I had no idea where this all would take us. I never thought i'd do any major modifications. I love photography too, you can see pics on our flicker site from our Ambon trip here: http://flickr.com/photos/11439506@N07/sets/72157601900242914/. RB diving and photography go very well together. it's no big deal on an mCCR either. getting a good HUD is very helpful for long shot set ups. I recommend the Shearwater, as it is totally independent and can go with other electronics.

I really enjoy front mounted counter lungs...there are quite a few mCCR options out there with them.

Enjoy the new perspective and good luck on the conversion, it's a very sly way to slip into full CCR diving.

g

Thanks Gill, nice photos you have and your right, its intresting where life takes you and the directions it does. The Optamia from Dive-Rite also has the front counter lungs, which I was looking into down the road. I agree with the Shearwater, Thats a definate choice someday.

These days, I'm a lazy diver now, just hitting the big 40 , Now these days I like just moving slow in the water, looking for the next best shot, and enjoying watching all the fish live in their natural enviorment.

I have to say, one thing that brought me back to the R/B side, was I always remembered when I was diving my Dolphin, The fish never moved. They would come right upto my mask, and look at me like " Whats this strange creature doing down here with me, and not blowing any bubbles" ?

They would never move, you just see their eyes following you

Then I went back to O/C, and everytime I exhausted the bubbles, they would scattter. They could hear me coming from a 100' away.

for now, over the next several months, I will have to spend a ton of time reading about rebreathers again, and hopfully my goal is to get into a full CCR by next summer.

I'll probley convert my Dolphin down the road, which is a easy converion, or sell it and put the money towards a CCR unit, which is probley what I'll do.

Thanks for the post, I enjoyed your story as well, and hopfully I would like to hear from others how their lives have changed over the years, and their relationships on a rebreather.

Hey FLTekDiver,
Welcome back. I now dive the Optima & Inspo, but I regret selling my dolphins. There are times that the ease of setup lower weight of that system would be easier. But I truly enjoy the wonders of quite diving and the awesome interactions with the animals. I'm just back from the Solomons, and had some incrediable experiences quietly easing through the u/w world.

Sounds wonderfull Scubanimal , I clicked on your profile, and looks like your pic is on a Dolphin.

I love the pic with the inspo on your back with the strobes hanging out, awsome pic

I agree, the interaction with the underwater creaturs is simply amazing, and I'm looking forward to getting back into this, as I'm very excited.

I bet the trip to the Solomons was beautiful !!

Thanks for the reply, and happy diving !

I have to say, one thing that brought me back to the R/B side, was I always remembered when I was diving my Dolphin, The fish never moved. They would come right upto my mask, and look at me like " Whats this strange creature doing down here with me, and not blowing any bubbles" ?

I know exactly what you mean...it's quite sublime. I've had fish bowel experiences in places I normally only saw fish on the bottom. It's nice to see how some fish that I thought were primarily bottom fish normally act, and they often treat you like your're some big pelagic providing shelter or a back eddy to ride. Instead of fear they are more likely to exhibit curiosity. I was blown away once when I came up to some Quil backs which on OC would keep a safe distance and instead they were up so close I decided to wiggle my finger and sure enough they went at it like it was food.

Welcome back, and thanks for the kind words! :D

Welcome back from me as well. Any time you want to move to the Sport Kiss, or even just do a "try dive" let me know. My daughter is away at college so hers isn't being used much.

Doug

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom