Back Plate and Wing Advice and Identify

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think that he dove a really heavy set of doubles with it. He has a story about not being able to climb out of the water onto the boat with the tanks on. Since they weighed a combined total of something like 120 lbs I don't find it all that surprising that he had issues, or that he had a big wing like this. (I believe they are/were ROTH 15L tanks. Weighing in at 48 lbs a piece empty plus doubling gear etc. Roth Cylinders - Mions)

"Where are you diving (warm water vs. cold water)? Perhaps we could recommend a relatively inexpensive single tank wing that's more suitable." Special thanks to bubbletrubble!

I am diving cold water Monterey Ca at the moment while saving up the cruising kitty to take the house to the south pacific diving again. Currently I am diving a Zeagle Ranger LTD, a two piece 7mm suit, hood, booties, etc. (I really miss diving in a lycra suit in the South Pacific!). I am probably a little over weighted at the moment with about 40 lbs, expect that to come down as I get a little more comfortable with all the cold weather gear stuff.

I appreciate that this may not give me the best experience of a properly sized wing for singles diving, but it is here and free. I have a collection of Zeagle Ranger BCD's at this point due to some gear purchases in package format from Craigslist. So I do have some wings that might work with this backplate, if I could figure out how to modify it to match the Zeagle backplate attachment system. The Zeagle wings that I have are off of Rangers and LTD's and have 44 lbs of lift.

The large wing that is in the photos is 60 lbs per bladder. But you can only inflate one of the bladders at a time however so it is one of the mid sequence Dive Rite 60 lb dual bladder units.

I looked at the dive rite catalog, and the harness matches exactly the dive rite deluxe harness with quick release and the optional crotch strap. I assume that it is routed correctly in the photo on their page? If anyone can confirm that I will reroute it tonight after work.
SCUBA Diving Equipment for Technical, Wreck and Cave Diving: Dive Rite, Inc - Product Catalog - Deluxe Harness QR

I am hoping to give the bp and the huge wing a try in a friends pool tomorrow. :D

I am disappointed to learn that this is not going to be a real trial for a back plate and wing... I was kind of hoping that it would be. I have wanted to try one out for several months now. However I am not able at this point to fork over $700 or so to try out a correctly sized, ss Backplate and wing, especially when I already have a Zeagle Ranger, and Ranger LTD. (The Admiral has frozen my scuba line item expenditure in the budget :depressed: :depressed: ) :D

Again any input willing read and accepted!

Thanks to all of you for helping!
Guy
:)

I would sell one of your Rangers & ---you can get a pretty good BP/W system for around 350 US , I think....delta probably what around ?200 bucks..

Click this link, upgrade to a steel plate & you get a 10% discount from being a SB member....
BackPlate and Wing Package reviews and discounts, Dive Rite

I took a close look at the wing and due to the fact u have gromets that go around the edge and it's a #60 wing, I beleive u have urself an atpac wing

see how the gromets closests to the wing line up with the "stitching" of an atpac

eBayISAPI.dll

North East Scuba Supply had a deal going on the new travel wings for under $200. You'll appreciate an appropriate sized wing.

amen to this......most people go too big(on the bladder) to begin with when given the chance.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom