Back surgery and still diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

anytime you can avoid surgery it is good thing. Hopefully those injections will help while that disc fragment reabsorbs. I know divers that have gone to side mount for low back issues and wondered why they never did it sooner. My wife has low back issues and we are considering side mounts with her. Hang in there and I hope your feeling better soon.

Sequestrated disc fragments reabsorb? Where to? Mine is lying on the side of my spine.

- Bill

Hi @billt4sf

I'm 63 years old, reasonably healthy and fit. I had an episode of debilitating lumber radiculopathy with excruciating pain down my left buttock, thigh and calf. MRI showed severe degenerative disease. As this did not resolve with conservative therapy, I had an epidural steroid injection at two levels. The symptoms resolved over 3-5 days and I began a physical therapy program. I have been pain free since and and now on a maintenance physical therapy regimen. I went down to Florida and went diving 5 weeks after my injection and did very well. I will be leaving soon for a trip to Cocos, 9 weeks after the injection. I have no real limitations on my activity other than common sense. I did back roll and giant stride entries and used a variety of ladders (carefully)

The treatment of lumbar back pain is somewhat controversial with regard to conservative vs. surgical therapy. My advice for anyone would be to see a group physicians (nonsurgical and surgical) who have specific training and experience with the spine. Here is one review article on the topic that may be applicable to your situation Surgery versus conservative management of sciatica due to a lumbar herniated disc: a systematic review

Best of luck and good diving, Craig

Craig thanks for this. I read the paper and really appreciated having it.

I had a set of injections a few days ago and I'm a lot better but not out of the woods yet - can walk but with some pain. maybe it will get better over the next days -- or maybe I will need some more conservative drug therapy or (my guess) maybe more injections along with exercises.

I have resolved (one again) to lose weight.

Man, that is a good beer my wife just brought me! :kissy:

- Bill

Hi @billt4sf

Though I was essentially pain free by 5-6 days, I still have mild weakness and numbness that are on the way to resolving. I was told that my response was pretty typical but that some people don't get their full response for 10 days.

I keep plugging away with my PT regimen and do my elliptical trainer and have added back light weights. Lastly, I am still getting back my confidence.

A little over 2 weeks and I will be diving with Hammerheads off Cocos.

Best of luck to you and good diving,

Craig

In case anyone still wants to talk about back pain...I am still here and can do little but sit. I had the steroid injections about a week ago, and I have improved ... let's call it 50%.

We moved to Bali 9 months ago to dive, and it looks like we're probably going to have to go back to get it treated. (We could get it treated here in Singapore, the Docs are the "best" but insurance won't pay nearly as much as Medicare will.)

So if it doesn't resolve "soon", I guess we'll bite the bullet and return home to SF. We'll give it a few weeks to see if it continues to improve. Progress has been minimal after the first few days.

The Doc says that surgery is usually effective for what I have -- leg pain -- and not so effective for lower back pain - which has resolved.

That, and the Giants are losing...not my best day....

- Bill

In case anyone still wants to talk about back pain...I am still here and can do little but sit. I had the steroid injections about a week ago, and I have improved ... let's call it 50%.

We moved to Bali 9 months ago to dive, and it looks like we're probably going to have to go back to get it treated. (We could get it treated here in Singapore, the Docs are the "best" but insurance won't pay nearly as much as Medicare will.)

So if it doesn't resolve "soon", I guess we'll bite the bullet and return home to SF. We'll give it a few weeks to see if it continues to improve. Progress has been minimal after the first few days.

The Doc says that surgery is usually effective for what I have -- leg pain -- and not so effective for lower back pain - which has resolved.

That, and the Giants are losing...not my best day....

- Bill
Bill, don't bother with Singapore medical. It is not as good as you would think. Despite the fact all the rich Indonesians go to Mount Elizabeth or Glen Eagle for treatments, it is not what is touted to be. It does not take much to surpass Indonesia in terms of medical care. Go back to the US and get it done.

Sequestrated disc fragments reabsorb? Where to? Mine is lying on the side of my spine.

- Bill

Hi Bill,
We have been dealing with similar issue. As long as pain is not a major issue we have been encouraged to allow the disc to reabsorb over time. Its a natural way the body will repair itself. Its not easy to do since my wife has aggravated it during our last trip.

For persistent pain, weakness, numbness, not responsive to more conservative measures, surgery is indicated. Was your injecton guided by fluoroscopy? Unguided injections are often misplaced

Last edited:
For persistent pain, weakness, numbness, not responsive to more conservative measures, surgery is indicated. Was your injection guided by fluoroscopy? Unguided injections are often misplaced

Yes, it was. And like I said, my symptoms improved substantially - not not enough for walking more than 20 - 50 steps. No numbness, just pain from L5 mostly when I stand or walk.

We're going back to Bali for a few weeks, see what a little swimming and massage will do, then probably head to the States.

- Bill

Yes, it was. And like I said, my symptoms improved substantially - not not enough for walking more than 20 - 50 steps. No numbness, just pain from L5 mostly when I stand or walk.

We're going back to Bali for a few weeks, see what a little swimming and massage will do, then probably head to the States.

- Bill
Hi Bill,

Best of luck to you, hope you continue to improve. When I was really hurting, diving hurt too. Probably the only time that diving didn't do my aches and pains some good.

Take care and good diving,

Craig

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom