Back to Maui - First week of August

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Krisb posted a pretty good description of what's needed for Molokini backwall -- you need to be comfortable doing a "no-bottom" dive, and need to be comfortable doing a blue water safety stop without an ascent/mooring line or other reference. You also need to stay aware of your depth. Divers that are more used to low viz, even experienced ones, have been fooled by the water clarity and descended a lot deeper than the intended profile.

Reef's End is a dive that many operators will do when they have a group of divers of varying skill level. One common profile is to start inside the crater in 50' of water. The end of the end of the reef is a couple hundred feet away, and divers can get comfortable before going over the ridge onto the outer wall side. There's generally lots of variety in the fish, eel, and sharks on the sloping outer edge of Reef's End, with interesting stuff all the way from >150' up to the surface. As the dive progresses further around the backside, the wall steepens up to nearly vertical. With its variety in both topology and marine life, Reef's End is my favorite dive in Maui.

For anyone that's gonna be in Maui from roughly the 7-12 here's our (myself, my wife and board members "Briangilipin" and WileEDiver) schedule:

August 7 afternoon/night dives at Black Rock with the X Scooter
August 8 Extended Horizons to Lanai
August 9 Ed Robbinson three tanks adventure (advanced divers only)
August 10 Extended Horizons to Lanai
August 11 shore diving with the X Scooter

Hope to meet some of you!
-Chris

Charlie99:
Reef's End is a dive that many operators will do when they have a group of divers of varying skill level. One common profile is to start inside the crater in 50' of water. The end of the end of the reef is a couple hundred feet away, and divers can get comfortable before going over the ridge onto the outer wall side. There's generally lots of variety in the fish, eel, and sharks on the sloping outer edge of Reef's End, with interesting stuff all the way from >150' up to the surface. As the dive progresses further around the backside, the wall steepens up to nearly vertical. With its variety in both topology and marine life, Reef's End is my favorite dive in Maui.

have to agree, Reef's end is a great dive, was my first ever dive in warm water, and my first time seeing a shark...very very cool, much better than middle reef, although i did think lanai was exceptional as well

mossym:
have to agree, Reef's end is a great dive, was my first ever dive in warm water, and my first time seeing a shark...very very cool, much better than middle reef, although i did think lanai was exceptional as well

I agree on all counts. Shark Condos was cool too. I saw more sharks around Molokini than I have in all my dives ever put together. Molokini is a very very cool dive site. Last time I was there we did the usual stuff on Lanai but we also hit a beautiful reef called "Nob Hill" or "Knob Hill" and we really enjoyed that dive as well! The Cathedrals are of course amazing as well.

-Chris

CALI68:
I agree on all counts. Shark Condos was cool too. I saw more sharks around Molokini than I have in all my dives ever out together. Molokini is a very very cool dive site. Last time I was there we did the usual stuff on Lanai but we also hit a beautiful reef called "Nob Hill" or "Knob Hill" and we really enjoyed that dive as well! The Cathedrals are of course amazing as well.

-Chris

coz then maui..living it up Chris huh?

mossym:
coz then maui..living it up Chris huh?

Just trying to reach my warm water quotta for this year :eyebrow:

CALI68:
For anyone that's gonna be in Maui from roughly the 7-12 here's our (myself, my wife and board members "Briangilipin" and WileEDiver) schedule:

August 7 afternoon/night dives at Black Rock with the X Scooter
August 8 Extended Horizons to Lanai
August 9 Ed Robbinson three tanks adventure (advanced divers only)
August 10 Extended Horizons to Lanai
August 11 shore diving with the X Scooter

Hope to meet some of you!
-Chris

I'm there the week before, July 31 - Aug 6.
Currently scheduled:
July 31 - Extended Horizons scooter dive
August 1 - Ed Robinson two tank morning dive
August 3 - Extended Horizons two tank morning dive
August 4 - Ed Robinson Night Dive
August 5 - Ed Robinson two tank morning dive

Craig

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom