"Backordered drysuit hoods"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dashark

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
What does it take to buy a drysuit hood these days? I orders a white hood back in December, only to be told that it was "backordered" over and over. It is now March, and, it is still backordered.Both online and in my LDS. I had an xl shipped to me just to see if i could make it work. Too big.
I have read another post that says has been Backordered since november.
So, i decide to move on. I go to my second choice, Pinnacle merino. Also backordered, according to Leisurepro. then I find the new zippered merino hood available and pull the trigger.I get exited, because this is a much more ideal hood for me than the whites.
Come to find out the next day it is backordered as well.
Same story with the henderson I picked out.
Anyone else having this problem? Particularly with size large?
It was said in another forum, and I agree, that having a product unavailable since November is way more than backorderd.
Maybe just a sign of the times, but, it makes me worry about the future of availability of products and customer service we can expect from these previously reliable , quality companies. I don't say this without a great degree of understanding.
At the end of the day, I still don't have a hood and want to go diving.....

Hi There,

I just wanted to take a moment to comment on the status of back orderd items. First of all backorderd items are incredibly frustrating for the manufacturer as well. Without the ability to provide the end user with product, sales and revenue are lost or delayed.

I can't speak for all other vendors as to the reason behind the back orders, but at Whites we are having issues with delivery times from our suppliers overseas. The frustrating thing is that we have no controll of the situation if a supplier tells us our shipment will be delayed another 2 months. However we have been doing our best to sub in similiar products at no charge where we can.

The backorders should not be seen as a sign of the times for the dive industry. On the contrary at Whites we have been experiencing record demand for our products which is another reason that the backorders have been happening. We will continue to provide the best possible service to our customers, and appreciate the patience. If anyone has any more questions, please send me a PM or email me directly at justinb@whitesdiving.com

Cheers,

Justin Balaski
Whites Manufacturing Ltd.

Thanks for the explanation Justin.
Glad to hear that at least one quality company is thriving after we have lost so many recently....

Call up Cricket at this place. She'll ask you to measure your dome and in about a week you'll have a custom drysuit hood that'll fit your dome like no other.

Look for reviews on Otter Bay hoods here and you'll only hear great things.

Do a search for Otter Bay Hoods like Danobee recommends above and you will see she has a loyal following from many respected scubaboard members. I have one and love everything about it.

To help explain a little more on what Justin was saying....

Product X is made in Timmys factory.....Timmys factory makes scuba equipment for 15 companies...product X is one part of that. Scuba makes up less than 5% of Timmys products. Timmy gets an order from Y company that trumps what all 15 in scuba could want for the year 20+ fold....who do you think gets bumped to the back of the line? Blame the guy named Timmy in China for your issues....:D Just a little more clarification on how it works.......With not too many choices on some items, scuba is held hostage. Whites is actually buying machinery to start doing more in house. Im not sure what products this can transfer to, most likely not hoods, but it is a start :wink:

SUPPORT THOSE THAT DO THIS!!! IT DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE

Call up Cricket at this place. She'll ask you to measure your dome and in about a week you'll have a custom drysuit hood that'll fit your dome like no other.

Look for reviews on Otter Bay hoods here and you'll only hear great things.

Ditto that. Best hood and service you can buy.

SUPPORT THOSE THAT DO THIS!!! IT DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE

EXACTLY! Buy a hand made Otter Bay hood, made just for you in the USA :cool2:

Nothing against Whites or other manufacturers, but they just do not build hoods like Cricket does.

I just ordered my new hood from Flurohood. It is a size Large. They shipped it the next day. I'll let you know how I like it.

Also keep in mind, most foreign manufacturers are on polychronic time (P-time), where the US is on monochronic time (M-time). What is that? US is more focused on one thing, at one time.....and gets it done. Other countries that are P-time, (which is the majority of countries in manufacturing) have multiple time structures and work them all at once, thereby slowing down all of them. Most of the world does not have the same structured time respect the US has (along with most Anglo-Saxon countries). Think of it sorta like "island time" and you'll understand. It's very frustrating for US businesses, but the foreign suppliers think nothing of it at all. This applies to other activities, business and personal in P-time countries.....time is not an issue....it will get done, when it gets done.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom