Backplate and Wing Round Table

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This might sound like a stupid question or that I am being confrontational, but here it goes. What advantage would a stainless steel plate have over an aluminum plate? Yes I know that I will need to add less weight with a stainless steel plate but aren't we simply trading weight in the form of lead for weight in the form of stainless steel? I don't see any value added between a 6 lb stainless steel plate and 8 lbs of lead over a 2lb aluminum plate and 12 lbs of lead (hypothetically).

I plan on picking up a Hog aluminum plate and harness today that I am getting a VERY good deal on ($80 Canadian or about $60 US)

This is the approach I took. I have always used a jacket style BCD and just recently bought a HOG Aluminum backplate and a Dive Rite harness and wing. The plate weighs almost 2 lbs. The buckles for the waist belt plus the two on the cam straps seem like a few lbs too. This plus the fact that a back plate and wing are not as positive as a BCD, leads me to hope that my additional lead needs will be minimal to non-existent with an AL80, which is what I dive 99% of the time.

Just last week I was diving in salt water wearing a 3 mm and I took 8lbs. I knew 8 would be heavy but the conditions were really rough and since my neoprene was very dry, I wanted to get down fast. I was very heavy for the dive. (with a 3mm full suit plus a 3mm hooded vest in my jacket BCD I usually use 6lbs or sometimes 4lbs in salt water)

I did not get the opportunity to change the weight for dive #2 since the conditions were so rough. Unfortunately, that was the last and only dive of the week, so I did not get the opportunity to get dialed in. Without a doubt my new set up is more compact in a suitcase than my jacket BCD.

This might sound like a stupid question or that I am being confrontational, but here it goes. What advantage would a stainless steel plate have over an aluminum plate? Yes I know that I will need to add less weight with a stainless steel plate but aren't we simply trading weight in the form of lead for weight in the form of stainless steel? I don't see any value added between a 6 lb stainless steel plate and 8 lbs of lead over a 2lb aluminum plate and 12 lbs of lead (hypothetically).

I plan on picking up a Hog aluminum plate and harness today that I am getting a VERY good deal on ($80 Canadian or about $60 US)

As dmaziuk mentioned, the steel plate puts the weight exactly in the right spot, especially with a AL tank. You have two sources of buoyancy, your lungs and the wing, and the steel plate evenly distributes weight directly between these two sources. You could buy an AL plate and then put 6 lbs of weight on the cambands, but it's not as good. I've done both for years, as I use a steel plate for single AL tanks and a AL plate for doubles. On some trips I only bring one plate and have to use the AL plate for single tanks with camband weights.

In your case, you would benefit from the steel plate especially because you would probably want to put additional weight on cambands. Thinking of 16 lbs of ballast (guessing that your BC is 2 lbs positive) needed with an AL80, you might want 10lbs on your back and 6 lbs on your waist. That's much easier with the steel plate already providing 6 lbs.

This is the approach I took. I have always used a jacket style BCD and just recently bought a HOG Aluminum backplate and a Dive Rite harness and wing. The plate weighs almost 2 lbs. The buckles for the waist belt plus the two on the cam straps seem like a few lbs too. This plus the fact that a back plate and wing are not as positive as a BCD, leads me to hope that my additional lead needs will be minimal to non-existent with an AL80, which is what I dive 99% of the time.

Sure, but the OP currently needs 18 lbs with an AL80. That's a lot more weight and that's why a steel plate is much better for him.

Sure, but the OP currently needs 18 lbs with an AL80. That's a lot more weight and that's why a steel plate is much better for him.
I'm actually not the Op. I just got into the conversation last week. Dive Right in Scuba is the OP.

Still, 18 pounds is where I'd consider a steel plate too. Carrying it around the airports would suck but it's only 4 lbs (compared to Al) and if on your dive trips you spend more time in airports than underwater, you gotta be doing something wrong.

I use 2 small pouches on shoulder straps and 8lbs with Al plate, they do get in the way a little bit and they do trim me out nicely underwater. But anything bigger than 4 lb hard weights there would really get in the way. So with 18 lbs you'll be looking at getting a weight harness or extra pouches for the waist strap and cambands etc. Chances are futzing with all those is going to (edit: )be suck at least as much as dragging a steel plate through a couple of plane changes.

Last edited:

True, I missed that part. A steel plate would be a good way to make up much of that.

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to get my first single tank wing between (30) and 40 pounds. One that is very very good quality and will bring me joy for diving for many years to come. One that will give me the best possible trim in the water (no substitute for training...) and will not taco.

I'm am slightly confused about why some air cells cost more than others. Please explain this.

The ones I'm thinking of are:
Apeks 30 pounds PSD wing
Halcyon Eclipse 30 pounds wing
Agir Brokk Blackbird 36 pounds wing
XDEEP?

Please advise me which aircell is the best? And if halcyon and agir are worth the extra dosh? If so what's better about them?

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to get my first single tank wing between (30) and 40 pounds. One that is very very good quality and will bring me joy for diving for many years to come. One that will give me the best possible trim in the water (no substitute for training...) and will not taco.

I'm am slightly confused about why some air cells cost more than others. Please explain this.

Apeks 30 pounds PSD wing
XDEEP?

Please advise me which aircell is the best? And if halcyon and agir are worth the extra dosh? If so what's better about them?

Thanks
I'm not sure if they ship to Ireland, but there is an outlet in Florida called Piranha Dive Manufacturing that is clearing out HOG Wings. they have the 23 and the 32 pound wings on sale right now for $149USD. I just ordered the 23 pound one for myself.

Hi everyone,

Apeks 30 pounds PSD wing
XDEEP?

Thanks

The Halcyon is a good wing, you can get a blem here for a discount. I personally like the bladder and the way it packs neatly. The only drawback is that it requires a single tank adapter, which I don't like. A less expensive alternative to the Halcyon is the DRIS wing sold by the OP for $200 (sometimes $150 on sale). The shape of the wing is very similar to the Halcyon but the bladder is not as strong. It is a thinner urethane material, although mine is an older version so it may have been changed.

The Apeks 30lb seems similar to the Oxycheq wing that I have. I like that wing but the only drawback to it is that it is bulky for packing. However, others do disagree with me on that so it is best to make up your own mind on that issue.

Personally, I think all the wings you listed are quality wings. I don't think any of them is a bad decision if the lift capacity meets your needs. It says you are a DIR practitioner, I would look to see what divers in your area use. Maybe someone will loan you their wing to try out.

What's the advantage of having a setup that removes the need for weight on a belt (or pockets)?

I used to thinking about having weight you can ditch in an emergency and with a great setup it sounds like no extra weight is required?

I'm looking into a backplate and wing setup and have been toying with the idea of a lite backplate (SS), so I can still carry a few pounds on a belt.

What's the advantage with either scenario?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom