Backplate hole not aligned with harness - Bad design or bad user?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Basically they should be like the red marks I drew, no?

SCR-20230721-ovax.jpeg

It's going to be bolted down when you put the STA or doubles on, so nothing is going to move.

Well, I won't use an STA so for singles it wont.
And for doubles, the holes don't align :/

How can the source of the webbing make a difference? It is webbing with a grommet punched in the center of the width. Same as everyone's...

It only really matters if you need that bottom hole. if you do, you are either just pushing it out of the way or burning a hole in the webbing for a bolt.

Basically they should be like the red marks I drew, no?
Yes, whoever designed the BP didn't test it/didn't do his homework. As others have said, you don't need to bolt the webbing down and it will work but it's a poorly designed plate. What brand is it?

A would probably send it back get a different one. Not because it doesn't work but because it would annoy me.

If it's a cheap knock-off, it may have been made by a source that has looked at pictures of backplates and has understood that they need slots and holes in them, but not understood the actual functionality and functional relationship of those slots and holes.

It's hard to tell, but from the OP's annotated picture it does look as though the diagonal slots are mis-angled, and the bolt holes are poorly positioned. I mean, of course you can make it work, but the OP is basically asking "why does this seem badly designed" and the answer might be "because it IS badly designed"

For a singe tank setup the position of the grommet is not an issue. For a doubles setup and/or if it bothers you, you can just replace your webbing for a length without a grommet and if diving doubles you can melt a hole that lines up with the third hole in your plate. For a solution that is not as elegant, if you wanted, you can slide you webbing to offset the grommet and melt your own hole.

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom