Backplate In PSD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ffdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
What's everybody's opinion on backplates and harness in PSD work. I know according to LGS nothing else works aside from their own BC, but I know there has to be some other opionions out there. I feel that a backplate and wing is much more streamlined then any jacket style bc, I can't really think of a good reason why it shouldn't be used in PSD. If it is the D-rings on the chest that bother the LGS people then those could be easily removed, since you wont be hanging spare lights there. No point in bringing a primary light, so why bother with a spare. So just wondering if anyone else has an opinion on bp/w in our line of diving.

Hi,
In my opinion there is no better platform for psd than a backplate. If the mission is gear intensive, and the gear required is based on the diversity of the mission/rescue at hand the backplate is perfect fit. It's virtual indistructibility, easily changed wing, easily changed harness, should be a easy sell to the quartermaster for an investment in the team that can fit everchanging personel, and outlast other jacket style set-ups far and away.
Eric

Personally, I dive a Dacor Rig Pro which is a variant of a BP and Wings. I do like the multiple attachment points to keep the octo high and crossed on the body, tether line attached, and marker float attached. It has a small pocket where I can keep a small light, 3rd cutting implement, and it has a pocket behind that which is compatible to drop in a 6 lb weight bag to insure that I sink properly.

As far as the d-rings, I have not had an issue with what is under or in front of me. Any issues I have had were above me hanging up on the tank yoke or the leg/fin area. If I have an issue in the chest/stomach area, those are easily resolved. Behind is a different story. I had toyed with the concept of developing some sort of cover to streamline the yoke for PSD so that branches, ropes, fishing line will slide over top rather than wrapping around. Maybe in my spare time I will work on that!!!!

I am a firm believer what works for one person/team may not be compatible, suitable, or liked by others. This is not done for recreation. Our goal in most instances it to sink to the bottom and crawl around looking for the target.

My $.02 so we are now up to $.04!!!

Dive safe!

Dan

Boater Dan:
I am a firm believer what works for one person/team may not be compatible, suitable, or liked by others. This is not done for recreation. Our goal in most instances it to sink to the bottom and crawl around looking for the target.

My $.02 so we are now up to $.04!!!

Dive safe!

Dan
That's what I say all the time. What works for you may not work for us. In recreational diving just about anything can be used in almost all conditions. Not so in PSD. Each team is unique.

We use Zeagle and have for about the past 20 or so years. It's about the only way to go for us. I think a BP is a good way to go IF it fits your team needs and everyone is in them.

Gary D.

I have dove a BP system in public safety diving for alot of years. More and more teams are moving to it. The clean streamlined front is great for reducing entanglements.

Brent

ffdiver:
according to LGS nothing else works aside from their own BC.

This is untrue. They sell a BCD that they recommend but you'd find that the majority of the classes that they teach the teams are using something else and its no big deal.

The argument is against back inflate BC's in general - not BP's only. The reason is that a fully inflated back inflate style will tend to push the diver face down at the surface. If a PSD is struggling at the surface with the weight of say a body this may be difficult to manage and lead to problems. He may be unable to lay on his back (as a diver normally would if it was fully inflated) if he was handling other things - ie body

I personally dive a BP in my sport diving rigs and our PSD team uses a back inflate style.

back inflate or jacket both have pros and cons. Either will work IMO - but there is junk of both types out there

I've used a BP/W for around 10 years now- no problems for PSD work.

One very simple method that can reduce the tendancy of the wing to push you face forward at the surface is to put a 4 or 5 Lb. weight in a single weight pocket on the bottom tank strap. May not work for all but it did wonders for me.

Boater Dan:
Any issues I have had were above me hanging up on the tank yoke or the leg/fin area. If I have an issue in the chest/stomach area, those are easily resolved. Behind is a different story. I had toyed with the concept of developing some sort of cover to streamline the yoke for PSD so that branches, ropes, fishing line will slide over top rather than wrapping around.
Dan

It sounds to me like a good reason to be using DIN instead of yoke valves and regulators.

Some good points made, both pro/cons. Remember you can always duct tape d-rings closed. The weight on the bottom straps works well as mentioned by tc246. Considerations include: Aluminum or Stainless Steal BP. Simplicity is key.

www.publicsafetydivesupply.com

Our department is in the process of purchasing a BP BC. We are embroiled in a battle between Halcyon and OMS. One of our divers who is a recent DIR convert will not hear anything but Halcyon. I am in favor of the OMS. On the surface there is little difference. We are going with a SS plate, 32 lb lift with single weave harness and a pad for the plate. My two concerns are visibility, OMS make a red bladder while haclyon is only black and if the straps wear into our Viking suits can we add shoulder straps. I know it seems like small issues but as for visibility I feel more is always better. When we do diver in distress drills I always get the the guy who thinks he is a tactical diver where everything is black. Even when I follow the rope it can be hard telling which end is which. OMS has a nice set of shoulder pads as well. Both are good quality construction but the battle continues.

Our department sponsored an LGS class and they talked about their stance on vest vs rear inflation since most of us were in Zeagle Rangers. I personally have never had a problem with floating on the surface with a victim in tow. In the distressed diver situation we never dive alone and there is always a safety diver and a 90% so if there is a problem we are not alone.

Good luck with you equipment selections.

Mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom