backplate variations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jbell8289

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Im in the market for a new aluminum backplate and am a bit confused over the many different shapes and sizes, etc...So ive kind of narrowed it down but need some guidance i want to buy from my lds which is Divers supply, macon because the guys there are great and have really helped me out and they are very competitively priced.

Ok so i like the dive rite and the Hollis plates,....but the dive rite only has one bolt hole at the top, and a small slot at the bottom. and only two camband slots, where the hollis has three holes at the top a large slot at the bottom and 3 camband slots. Now being new to backplates how big of a deal is this because the dive rite is also thirty dollars cheaper than the hollis?

Ive also looked at the HOG backplate, while it has all the slots and holes i can ask for it has a very large bend while the dr and hollis are more flat. Why is this? does this affect the performance or usability. I want this for a singles rig with a 32 wing and hog harness so any information you can give me would be great

thanks as always

Adding slots may be a bit of a problem, but how difficult is it to drill another hole?

IMO there is a vast amount of hype and hot air about backplate design and usage.

Adding slots may be a bit of a problem, but how difficult is it to drill another hole?

IMO there is a vast amount of hype and hot air about backplate design and usage.

Yeah i figured that was an option but what about the bend? that concerns me the most.

Oh do tell about the vast amount of hype and hot air about backplate design and usage.

The bend in the plate isn't that big of a deal, it might affect the lift of a wing but only very slightly and will change the distance of the 1st stage to your head.

For what's it's worth, an OMS plate is as cheap as a dive rite n has a ton of slots n mounting holes.

Sangp

Oh do tell about the vast amount of hype and hot air about backplate design and usage.

The bend in the plate isn't that big of a deal, it might affect the lift of a wing but only very slightly and will change the distance of the 1st stage to your head.

For what's it's worth, an OMS plate is as cheap as a dive rite n has a ton of slots n mounting holes.

Sangp

One other impact the bend can have is on storage space between your back and the plate.

I have a Dive Rite aluminum plate and it IS flatter than some other plates I've owned and compared.

I drilled the plate so it will accept the Halcyon MC storage pocket. It takes a bit of fiddling to get my 40# DAM adjusted in the pocket so the OPV and inflator don't poke me in the back.

I think you might be happier with the flatter plate for single tank use. I like a nice flat plate (actually flat, no bend at all) for single tank, and a fairly steep bend for doubles. That's just what works for me, others might have different opinions.

Don't worry about losing lift due to a flatter plate, it won't happen and you'll have plenty of lift. Don't worry about the slots either, just buy a wing at the same time and make sure the slots line up. If you're talking about an oxycheq or dive rite wing, they'll line up fine with the dive rite plate. Or, if you already have a wing, just bring it and make sure everything lines up. The center holes are much more critical with doubles, as you adjust the height of the tanks on the plate via the holes. For single tank, you just slide the plate up/down on the tank as you want. You are somewhat limited in how low you can get the tank by the upper camband, but it's rarely a problem.

Sangp

I had considered the OMS one but i heard the edges were very sharp, any one know an easy way to fix this? I will be using the bp with a Hog 32 wing.

I had considered the OMS one but i heard the edges were very sharp, any one know an easy way to fix this? I will be using the bp with a Hog 32 wing.

There is very good quality used gear listed everywhere so why settle for paying retail for bogus gear?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom