Backroll entry and finning up onto boat - any tips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

neve

Contributor
Reaction score
Originally from Bali, but now in Singapore
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all,

I'm heading to Perhentian Island in Malaysia next weekend. My dive operator told me that all the dive boats on the island are small traditional boats which hold a maximum of eight people plus gear. It is obvious therefore that the entry will be the backroll method, and we have to fin up onto the boat upon exit. Since I have never done these entry/exit methods, I'd be grateful for some tips on how to do it. I'm a little worried about the fin up exit, because I'm a big girl (size 16) and I'll never live it down if I tip the boat over! :worried: Constructive comments are very much welcome! Thanks....

neve the rookie
:holycow:

I wouldn't worry too much.

If you are unconfortable with a back roll, just inflate the BCD, put it into the water, taking care the octopus stays on the boat so the whole thing doesn't drift away too much, put your fins, weightbelt and mask on and get into the water.

With small practice it's quite easy to get geared up into the water, provided there is not too much current on the surface, first thing get your regulator in your mouth and then take your time to don the BCD and adjust the straps; I wouldn't say it's a child's game, but it's not impossible either.

As for getting back, they usually have a small ladder to get into the boat, but of course you need to doff everything, including weights and fins before you attempt the maneuver.

A back roll off a boat isn't very tricky. Sit as far back as you can, hold your mask on and your reg in with one hand and 'fall' backwards. Thats about it :)

Being a fuller figure wont matter. Plenty of people dive with twin tanks, large torch batteries, a whole stack of lead, etc. without tipping the boat over.

Getting back in should be OK too. If there is a ladder then pass you fins up and climb up. If this is a bit hard then pass your weights and BC/tank up too.

If it is a RIB style boat then keep your fins on, hang onto the side and pull yourself up while kicking hard and scramble into the boat. I don't think this manoeuver can be done gracefully.

"I don't think this maneuver can be done gracefully." LOL! It's one of the ugliest things to see! BUT, my instructor was quite adept at making it look like it was the easiest thing to do! I had never learned to do this with fins on, we just lurched ourselves over the side of the boat growing up. It was quite comical when it was my turn. I actually managed to get my fins tangled up with eachother and did a face plant over the edge!

BUT...everyone else did just fine. I just happen to be blessed with unabashed grace. (NOT!!!!!) Have no worries about that. You'll be a pro at it fast! Just enjoy yourself!!!!!

Don't worry getting your kit on, most places in Asia give you a lot more service than in most other parts of the world. I guide parttime in the Philippines and I imagine the boats we use are not too different to the ones you'll be in. Where I guide its part of the guide's job to help each customer gear up before each dive.

Don't worry about doing a backroll, its about as easy as falling down (I think someone said this already). The DM/guide should tell you when its clear to go in so you don't roll in on anyone else. Make sure you are clear of everyone else in the boat (i.e. no one standing on your fins ) and any struts or ladders, etc. on the boat. Put air in your bc then hold your gauges with your left hand, put pressure on your 2nd stage and mask with your right hand to hold them in place and just roll/fall backwards. As long as you have air in your bc you will pop back to the surface quickly.

Don't worry about getting back in the boat, remember the shop wants to get you back so you can pay your bill :thumb:

Safe diving!

:lol:

some of your posts are so funny :)

you guys are right, I'm more worried about getting back in the boat, as there will be no ladder *shudder* It's just too horrific a sight, me scrambling onto the boat like a psychotic manete.... Well that's how I imagine it anyway!

I think I will head to the pool and practice this weekend, just with my fins and try to hoist myself up the side of the pool.

worried sick neve
;-0

Neve,
I am also a size 16 & have done back rolls ok. Tuck your head so you don't bang your skull on the tank valve. If you really feel like you could tip the boat, be the first person off & have the others stand opposite you to balance the boat.

I like Chiara's idea of donning your gear in the water, too. The first trip I did this on , I had an integrated BC. BIG MISTAKE! With pockets loaded with 30lb of lead & a tank, it was nearly impossible to hoist my gear back on board after the dive. (my pockets did not come out easily).

Actually, the back roll is my favorite. You are close to the water to begin with, so there is not far to fall. These teeny boats can enduce vomitting in people who usually are fine! Our whole boat became a vomit machine on the water! Don't forget to take a small water bottle with u so you can hydrate on the voyage.

If you are so worried, why don't you contact the operator and ask about ladders on the boat. Get that off your mind, so you can do more important things, like shopping for new gear!!!!:money:

Uh-oh....

thanks for reminding me about the vomiting part... that's another major worry. OK I admit, I'm a natural born worrier :(

I'm mildly consoled, however, by the fact that all five of us who are going on the trip have never done the backroll entry and fin up exit. And I won't be the only psycho manete because my buddy is twice my size :D

Wish me luck folks...

somewhat-less-worried neve
:jester:

Neve,

Do whatever you can to strengthen your shoulders and arms prior to your trip. Also be aware that you will need to fin hard to propel yourself upward far enough to to get over the edge of the boat or onto a platform if there is one.

I like the back roll entry. Just follow the advice already given relax and enjoy. I hope you have a great time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom