Backroll entry and finning up onto boat - any tips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't believe the things people would do for diving funds (the M word is too crass :))

OK but seriously, I don't think I can spout enough muscles on my arms and shoulders just in time for my trip (it's next weekend!). My only choice is to practice and hope I can get it right by then!

cheers
neve

....it keeps us willing to rehearse, plan, & problem-solve. Good for you, Neve!

Neve

getting onto a longtail will be a piece of cake compared with a rubber dinghy. It's much easier grabbing the side of a wooden boat. trying to hold onto the side of a rubber dinghy is like trying to pin jelly to the table with a drawing pin. Just squirts away from you!

I agree it's a pity you can't video the rubber dinghy attempt - LOL

Best of luck

Philip

Actually, I do a lot of this, but we usually don our gear in the water -- I think it just evolved that way, fewer people moving less equipment around the small boat. Getting back on really shouldn't be too bad. I remove my gear, go to the transom, dunk a couple of times to build momentum, then kick like mad as I push upwards and forward and ease the pelvis on to the deck. The rubber inflatable thing requires more creativity, particularly if there isn't much room around the motor, but it can be done. The bouncing thing really helps.

since the 15 hour count down started.

neve, my friend, if you can tell a story like DeepSeaDan I'm sure this will be good!!

Of course we all wish that there is a happy ending and the day was a success and all that, but you know human nature--we really want the details of the trials and tribulations that led up to that success.

.... not that I was attempting to be graceful!

Let me give you a short story of my "fin up onto boat" attempt. No smirking please.

4.50am
No sign of buddy and rubber dinghy yet.

5.40am
Buddy finally shows up with major hangover. Not a good sign. :boom:

5.50am
Both of us huffed and puffed, taking turns foot-pumping the dinghy.

6.15am
Finally dinghy is inflated and afloat. Buddy got on dinghy and started paddling to the deeper end. I put fins on, jumped into pool, and noticed two curious swimmers heading towards pool. :(

6.20am
Holding on to the side of the dinghy, I attempted to lift myself up without finning (just to see if I can do it that way). Should have known that dinghy is one slippery little sucker.... After a few minutes of clawing and pawing, I gave up and decided to try finning up. Buddy looks on with a silly grin.

Tried finning up several times, but slipped back into water. Getting a bit frustrated now. :upset:

7am
I realised that a bunch of kids are now watching us intently, laughing and pointing fingers at us. :( I thought to myself, I have to do this quickly, so they won't have the chance to laugh at me again.

Gathering all my strength, I submerged to the bottom of the pool and finned up really hard. I grabbed the side of the dignhy and tried to pull myself up, only to realise that my buddy was not in it!! The dinghy overturned and fell over my head. I could hear howls of laughter just before I submerged.

7.10am
My buddy, grinning like an idiot, said he had to take a leak so he jumped into the water just as I was going to surface. :upset: The kids (and their parents) are still laughing... so I shot them dirty looks.... which were totally ignored.

7.20am
I decided to try again one last time. After telling my buddy to stay put, I once again submerged, and finned myself up really hard. This time I can feel that I had the right momentum, so I was able to scramble up the side of the dinghy!! Yeah!! Not very graceful as I slumped face first into the dinghy, but it was a marginally successful attempt nevertheless. Yes!! I tried again twice after that, and succeeded once more.

THE END
-----------------

Sorry, I'm not much of a storyteller, but I hope you get the picture. Now wish me luck for the real thing! Four more days to go....

exhausted but happy,

I'm really glad you had the successes!! I wish you all the best for a great dive trip.

That crowd that was watching you tells me we could have made some extra diving funds!!

Your story telling was great but I am most impressed with your courage and spunk to tell us(the world) about the parts that didn't workout quite so well.

Back
Top Bottom