Backup air recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

illiad

Registered
Reaction score
I've seen people mention that you should always carry a pony bottle with you. Is that the same thing as Spare Air?

I'm still just an OW newbie with fewer than ten dives, so any dive I plan will be easy and uncomplicated. I've gotten the impression that at this stage carrying Spare Air isn't a big deal. What kind of dive would push the recommendation into "definitely carry a backup"?

As an aside, I must say I really appreciate the wealth of knowledge and free advice that the divemasters and instructors on this board have to offer. I really love this sport and I'm looking forward to eventually earning the privilege to go pro one day!

A Spare Air is similar to a pony bottle but a pony bottle usually is quite a bit larger. My pony bottle is a 30 cubic foot tank with a separate regulator and pressure gauge. A Spare Air is usually only 1 to 3 cubic feet and will only allow you to make a direct ascent to the surface without doing a safety stop. I use mine if I'm going to be diving deep (>100 feet), or in an enclosed environment. I don't use it in my normal diving because I am usually diving in water that is less than 100' and monitor my gauges and bottom times. I will carry it if I feel there is a need but it normally sits in my truck unused.

Now IMO the primary redundant air source you should reference is your team members tank... develop your buddy skills.

At this point in your diving I'd follow Scottri's advice... dont bother with a redundant air source. Remember to watch your gauges and review how to perform a CESA should it come to that.

In the future if your diving really calls for a redundant air source consider (in addition to your buddy) diving doubles.

Hi Illiad,

I was asking just about the exact same question as you one year ago (probly almost to the day) after I got certified. When your brand new it seems like a good idea, especially since your getting those new diving mag's in the mail, and probably just about all of them have big color print add's for "Spare Air".

Just realize that those color add's are just that, advertisements, they are TRYING to get you to BUY something (even though it looks like some sort of "warning" or whatever).

I came about this ( |____| ) close to buying one of those things before I asked about it here on scuba board, and I'm sure glad I did!

I always dive with my buddy (the wife) and my "spare air" is that 1/3 of gas in her tank (and viseaversa).

If you do a search here for Spare Air you'll come accross some threads where people have hashed out the math on the small tanks, vs. pony, etc. what you'll find is very interesting/ eye opening reading indeed.

It boils down too there are a very limited set of circumstances in which the small (1 to 3 cu. foot) tanks are actually going to save you, and in most of those situations there are better options (octo from buddy, buddy breath, CESA, etc.).

Now don't get me wrong, there do seem to be a few circumstances where a spare air could be useful, (so I'm going to ask that you do your own homework on them).

Anyway, I suspected that your probly in the same "boat" I was in a year ago after getting certified, so I hope that helps you out in some way.

Definitely carry backup air for solo diving and I carry a pony for deeper dives (100+). Spare Air is not enough to insure safety. Pony bottle with separate regulator will provide an element of insurance.

Funny- seems like every time I start wondering about something, I find a thread about it here! I've been thinking about adding a pony of some kind to my kit, too. I'm not interested in the spare air, but 30 cf w/ separate reg and pressure gauge does sound appealing.......

illiad:
I've seen people mention that you should always carry a pony bottle with you. Is that the same thing as Spare Air?

I'm still just an OW newbie with fewer than ten dives, so any dive I plan will be easy and uncomplicated. I've gotten the impression that at this stage carrying Spare Air isn't a big deal. What kind of dive would push the recommendation into "definitely carry a backup"?

As an aside, I must say I really appreciate the wealth of knowledge and free advice that the divemasters and instructors on this board have to offer. I really love this sport and I'm looking forward to eventually earning the privilege to go pro one day!

This is one of those questions that's bound to get a lot of answer's both ways. I've seen similar threads and there is certainly a "no pony bottle" camp. I'm from New Jersey and boat trips to the wrecks here require a redundant air source, therefore I use a pony bottle (I don't dive doubles so I have no choice). I think the big issue with a pony bottle is use. It is truely a redundant air source to be used in an emergency only and not something to extend bottom time, nor does it replace proper dive planning and gas management.

My personal opinion on spare air is that in a real emergency, it's capacity is too small to be of any real help. For me any way. :D

Like most questions, no right or wrong answer, depends on the type of diving you do.

I've told myself I wasn't going to post on this subject, 'cuz it tends to get a bit emotional, but I 'm wondering something...

Disclaimer: I've never used a Spare Air.

I do, however, occasionally when diving exhale ('cuz you don't get to hyperventilate then take a big breath when you suddenly have your hose cut by some underwater Al Qaeda guy...) and try to see how long it is until it really sucks not having any air (not ascending, of course). Anyway, it ain't very long.

In training, when you get to practice buddy breathing - you're both "ready" for it, you take a big breath, and your buddy didn't just see this really cool seahorse that they're looking at instead of you as you're turning blue and slashing desperately across your thoat...

Now to the question -- might not a Spare Air be pretty useful it that situation to give you a few more breaths while you peel your buddy away fromt he seahorse and get their Octo?

I know...a good buddy is paying no attention to all the cool stuff underwater - they're only staring at you waiting for your out-of-air sign.

But really??

DocHueb

Logged Dives now in the 16-50 range, but I can't seem to edit my profile...

illiad:

Have you considered a larger tank, a 95 if you are now using Al80's, for example, with an H-valve? You get:
- extra gas (air, in your case at this point)
- redundant first stages
- redundant second stages
- the ability to close one valve completely in case of a freeflow
- did I mention extra gas?

There is a bit of cost involved, but knowing that you are redundant is very much worth it.

A Spare Air is a piece of crap...much too small to do you any good, and can be a real pain in the butt to get filled without the adapter. A small 40cf tank rigged as a stage bottle (Dive Rite makes a nice kit, about $20) can be nice to have. All you need is a first stage, second stage and a SPG on a short (6 inch or so) hose.

It all really depends on where you are diving and what you plan on doing durring the dive. Recreational diving to 100 foot....I don't carry anything but the tank on my back. No need for extra gas. But if I plan on doing any type of penetration ie: cavern, cave, wreck...then I bring a stage bottle (or 2) to be safe.

Mike Rushton

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom