Backup mask choices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Out of curiosity has anyone ever tried to use swimming goggles U/W? I think that it'd be quite hard to clear them - but if you could would they give enough visibility to read your gauges/computer? If they did - they are tiny to stow away - they'd take up far less room than any type of mask. (Maybe this is a lousy idea - I'm just interested what others might think!!)

I like the Oceanic Shadow too. Since it is frameless, it packs flat. I got it as a backup mask, but I liked it a lot, so I got another one to use as my main mask as well.

KimLeece:
Out of curiosity has anyone ever tried to use swimming goggles U/W? I think that it'd be quite hard to clear them - but if you could would they give enough visibility to read your gauges/computer? If they did - they are tiny to stow away - they'd take up far less room than any type of mask. (Maybe this is a lousy idea - I'm just interested what others might think!!)

You can't use swimming goggles because you can't clear them. Once you put them on underwater, then what? You will still have water trapped between your eyes and the glass.

TX101:
You can't use swimming goggles because you can't clear them. Once you put them on underwater, then what? You will still have water trapped between your eyes and the glass.
That is exactly my point - they'd be hard to clear. However they are very small - so possibly it would be possible using the purge on the reg. you'd probably still have some water inside that was impossible to get out - but you might be able to see enough to read your gauges. I'm not suggesting this as a good alternative - more of a last ditch emergency one.

KimLeece:
That is exactly my point - they'd be hard to clear. However they are very small - so possibly it would be possible using the purge on the reg. you'd probably still have some water inside that was impossible to get out - but you might be able to see enough to read your gauges. I'm not suggesting this as a good alternative - more of a last ditch emergency one.
If you want to squeeze you eyeballs out of their sockets, it could be a good idea....:wink: Reason #1 for the nose peice on diving masks is not to clear water, but to be able to equalize the mask so you don't rupture your eyes or something.

I use an Oceanic Mini Shadow frameless mask for both my back-up and primary. Folds down very nicely in my pocket...real slick.

jagfish:
Oceanic Shadow...
I see it comes in 3 versions.

Which one do you use?

I use the largest one.
The mini looks good, too, but I opted for the slightly wider field of view, as the volume is pretty low for the big one anyway. I think the difference in field of view is mostly on the bottom.

I don't like the micro because it is a 2-window mask. I prefer 1-window masks because it is more comfortable looking out of, especially when I'm not looking at something slightly sideways.

CanadianDiverGirl:
If you want to squeeze you eyeballs out of their sockets, it could be a good idea....:wink: Reason #1 for the nose peice on diving masks is not to clear water, but to be able to equalize the mask so you don't rupture your eyes or something.

I use an Oceanic Mini Shadow frameless mask for both my back-up and primary. Folds down very nicely in my pocket...real slick.
That wouldnt be a problem if you abort the dive and surface, cant get a squeeze while surfacing, only while going down.

Still, almost impossible to clear and not a good option.

Northern Diver MSC22. It folds sflat so that it can easily fit in a pocket. I have two. It's also the best fitting mask that I have ever found.

DS1:
Oceanic shadows are great

H20 oddesey (scubapro copy nice and cheap)

I've seen those online, but didn't know how they compared to the ScubaPro, which is what I dive. Is the silicone as rigid as the ScubaPro???

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom