Bad Experience Divers Unlimited Norfolk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do agree that in general the customer is always right, however that is not always the case. I have been on the receiving end of to many of those customers to automatically assume they are right.
I had one who cut the hoses on the rental reg and lied in order to get a refund. I made sure he would not be able to rent from us again.
I had another who yelled at me for suggesting that her friend should take an open water class instead of relying on her to teach them. I politely hung up on her.
I have had others customers who got upset about the cost of their repair when we provided a written estimate when they dropped it off the equipment. (They did not like it when I pulled the signed copy out to show them.)
All the above customers insisted that they were good customers who had spent thousands of dollars with us. I looked up their records and most had spent less than 200 many
years before.
This got me thinking and I determined that good customers do not tell you, and they do not have to, that they are a good customer.
We also had alot of government types who came in to get sized for wetsuits, then they would get their gear through the government. It was a waste of time, however I always serviced them with a smile and hope they became a loyal customer in the future. Very few did.
Generally I delt with very nice people, who I always tried to help to the best of my ability. I enjoyed it, and them. I always did my best to find the best product for the best price for them, and I would call them if I knew they were looking for something when there was a good price. Over all they were great people but as with any group there were problem children. This goes for shops as well as customers.

This is in no way intended to apply to the op, just a general observation.

As the op presented the case I would say that the shop was wrong and that he should find another to patronize.

I do agree that in general the customer is always right, however that is not always the case. I have been on the receiving end of to many of those customers to automatically assume they are right.

I think the phrase would be better worded as

The customer is always right for as long as the proprietor wants to keep them as a customer.

This means that sometimes, the customer may in fact be out of line but the shop keeper does not want to lose the sale so they concede. Other times, the concession is just too much and the shop keeper makes the decision to step away.

As a young man, I worked in an auto parts store. We had a regular customer who made an unreasonable demand for his money back on an item he had obviously ruined himself. The boss just gave him another one and tossed the ruined part in the trash. I later told the boss I thought he was a foo just ot give the guy a new part. The boss replied with a smile," It's on his bill, he just has to find it."

The true expression is "The customer is always right. They may not be correct, but they're always right".

As dive professionals we need to realize that perception is reality, whether it is true or not, scubapunk's perception is that they tried to "sneak one by him" so that is his reality. We may have to rethink business models, 25 years ago, divers signed up, became loyal to a store and bought gear from that store, but low priced classes that hope to make you profitable by selling gear to students is not going to work in this day and age with so many options out there for gear purchase. Change the model, work to change perceptions that classes are loss leaders and price classes profitably, price gear competitively, and go the extra mile to build loyalty, since loyalty can't be determined by geographical location any longer. It is unfortunate what happened to scubapunk, and without knowing the owners of the shop, I would be willing to bet, it is a well established old school dive store, and unfortunately, not progressive enough to change with the times.

It seems that LDS is making so much money that they can do without another "chumpchange" customer. Their choice. Their loss.

I started as a "chumpchange" customer and then went Tech. They got my Tech thousands because I was happy with their service early on.

I think if you look at the fine print of scuba equipment warranties, you will find it's full of loopholes. Some vendors offer free annual service parts for the life of the product (regulators). The catch is it has to be serviced every year, by the shop, and perhaps the same shop where you bought it. In the end it's a perk to the shop for dealing in that product.

Also some of the product lines are not... internet friendly. Territorial distribution through authorized resellers only type stuff. Prices not allowed to be admitted over the telephone or online. Draconian business practices that don't fly in the modern world.

There are rich customers that don't care about the cost of anything because they have so much money it doesn't matter. There are those that dont' care since it all goes on credit and perhaps can be reset with Chapter 7. Then there are those that manage money and finances.

Diving is an expensive hobby. I scratch my head with the thought that people roll in and drop $4K-$5K for a set of kit (per family member). That is a serious amount of money. Would the industry do better to move higher volume at lower prices?

I know this dive shop and have never had a problem. I am fairly new to diving and have got some really good info from their staff. They even offered to look out for me on a spear diving adventure because I was up front with them about my experience. I have bought several items different times and have always had a good experience. I run a glass business and know online is not the same as brick and mortar business. I have customers come in daily asking questions about what they bought online. Did you make any calls to Mares about the warranty . Like where to take your equipment before you took it into their shop. They wouldn't be in business long if they fixed everyone's equipment for free. Could you update us on the status on the warranty. Understand their side and maybe give them another chance.

LDS need to adjust to the Internet. They cannot match the price but customers wants them for info and service. Perhaps consider an annual charge for annual membership that entitles customers to free service and then have a service charge for Non-members. I am sympathetic to the uncompetitive cost structure of an LDS. But I have no sympathy and resent the threats and misrepresentations about Internet purchased goods. We are becoming a service economy and people will pay for services. I would much rather pay for a store that commits to be the best darn service provider than forever being whined at by a retailer with high costs who hates servicing purchases from elsewhere.

Ya'll realize this thread is four years old? Maybe they finally got it and are not the buttheads they were when the op dealt with them?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom