Bad Experience Divers Unlimited Norfolk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On with the continuing saga……My wife finished her checkout dives over the weekend with Divers Unlimited since she was in the class before the incident. When she returned her rental gear she took all the paperwork from the regulators including the receipt and yearly servicing log. The service technician went ahead and signed that the yearly servicing was completed and she proceeded to talk to the shop owner about the recent issue being professional and courteous. During the conversation the owner began to fly off the handle and treated her like she was the scum of the earth. Stating that since we did not purchase the equipment from him he was not going to honor the parts for life offered by Mares. He also stated that we don't spend any money with him even though she just paid for the open water certification and I have paid for an advanced class with plans to take more. He also disregarded I made a point to drive the 40mins there and back to get the tanks filled and purchase a few items here and there just not the big ticket gear. She basically got the impression that he felt we owed it to him to purchase big-ticket items. Obviously those small purchases were not valued or held in any regard. Up until this point in time I have been what we call in my field a promoter, I work in an office with over 300 well paid people and anyone that was interested in getting into diving got my advice to go with Divers Unlimited, I have always felt confident with their dive instructor and all the assistants which is upsetting that I have to cut all ties with the shop. And on another note the shop owner made mention to my wife that he has seen this thread…..so hopefully he sees this and learns his lesson, the economy is bad as it is and if you continue to upset people with your bad attitude and feeling that customers owe you something you probably won’t last. As for Captain Tom if you ever switch shops please let us know we would be more than happy to learn from you outside of DU.

Scuba_punk,

Contact Mares and ask for the name and phone number of the person in charge of your region. Tell them of his direct threat to no longer honor the warranty of the item because you didn't purchase it from him. Make sure to let them know how unprofessional this "Mares Dealer" was and that if this is how dealers treat customers you would not buy another product.

Don't be surprised if the rep pays a visit to the LDS and gives them a what for.
The Manufacturers expect the people selling their gear to project a good image for the brand and if they can't they get enough complains they wont be carrying the product line any more!

Sorry to hear of your continuing problems with this shop. It's pissants like this guy that give many LDS's bad reps for no good reason.

Now I'm sure you'll see a bunch of people jump up here and defend the LDS mentioned, so I'd suggest that THEY call the LDS and attempt to straighten the issue out for you. I'm sure a few will happily volunteer. :popcorn:

I know it's a little further, but given your limited choices north of the water, I'd suggest you call Dive Quarters in Virginia Beach. They are a big Mares dealer and should be able to help you in the future. Tell them they were recommended to you after your recent experience by me or RAD Diver on this board. Ask for Joe.

Good luck...

Andy

scuba_punk on June 30th:
I will check with them on the start of next week before I take the next step and go to Mares. Between work and school today I just couldn't find the time in my schedule.

Well?

:coke:

After all my research I chose the equipment that I felt would fit my needs. I then started shopping around online and at the LDS. I happened to find the best deal online at joediveramerica.com. Now following the guidance of scubaboard.com I verified that Joe Diver was an authorized Mares dealer. ... Now she was told when she dropped it off that the parts would be covered and we would just be charged for labor. So imagine my surprise today when I went over to pick up my equipment when I was charged and extra $42 dollars for parts. ... Now I could overhear the conversation and it basically came down to “He didn’t purchase it here so how should I know. That is why he was charged. Well I guess I could check with Mares tomorrow”.
Thanks for being one of the posters who follow up with the 'rest of the story' in a later post! Frequently, SB members tell about a problem, but we don't read about the resolution. In following the thread, several things stand out. There is a significant difference between WHAT the shop did (or did not do) and HOW they did it. What they did - charge you for parts, pending verification of whether the regulator was actually covered under the annual service warranty, was not necessarily unreasonable. You can tell them it was purchased from an authorized retailer. They can perform the service, and provide the parts kit at no charge. Then Mares can say, 'Sorry, we aren't going to replace that parts kit for this regulator service, because XX is not an authorized retailer.', and the shop is left holding the bag. Not a big deal one time. But, multiply that by 50 parts kits for 50 customers, and it becomes a bigger deal. But, that issue notwithstanding, HOW they did it - told you one thing when you took it in then did another when you picked it up, fail to communicate internally between the 'front counter' and the service technician, didn't check with Mares and just presumed it was not covered - shows a lack of customer focus. I can even understand the shop's frustrations. It is fine for us to buy products on line and get the lowest price, with the profit going to the online retailer. But, then there is an implied expectation that shops maintain the service staff, the parts inventory, the space, the tools, the equipment, etc., to provide annual service, which is not a high margin activity, and is simply not the profit center for most LDS operations. If it was high margin, the online retailers would offer 'mail in' service! Yes, YOU were confident that the online retailer was an authorized dealer. But, the shop has to be sure that Mares will provide a replacement service kit, free of charge. And, they have to take time to make the call. So, it becomes their obligation to verify that the regulator qualifies for free parts. As for the Mares rep giving them a 'what for', I wouldn't count on that being effective. The competition among manufacturers is to get shops to carry a particular line. The Mares rep is hopefully going to be interested in making sure the shop does what it should do in your case, but equally interested in making sure the shop continues to carry the Mares line, and doesn't decide, 'Mares is simply too much trouble to deal with, I will switch to ScubaPro (or TUSA, or Dive Rite, whatever).'

From the account, I don't think the shop really wants you as a customer, and that is their privilege. It may not be something you want to hear. And I don't say it to suggest that you are in any way a bad customer. Rather, it may just be a situation where you and the shop are not in a position to forge a mutually beneficial relationship. HOW they went about indicating that was not an appraoch I would have used.
scuba_punk:
Stating that since we did not purchase the equipment from him he was not going to honor the parts for life offered by Mares. He also stated that we don't spend any money with him even though she just paid for the open water certification and I have paid for an advanced class with plans to take more.
Again, HOW they went about the interaction with you and your wife is simply poor practice. While you have spent money with him through education, the margins on training are modest - it is equipment sales that drive revenue. The scuba retail sector focuses on education (dive training), experience (dive trips), and equipment (gear sales). And, for many shops, gear sales is where they make money. So, the point of the message may have been valid but they showed poor form in how they communicated it.
scuba_punk:
He also disregarded I made a point to drive the 40mins there and back to get the tanks filled and purchase a few items here and there just not the big ticket gear.
While the drive shows a level of commitment on your part, how far you have to drive to come to the shop probably doesn’t really factor in to the business decisions that the owner must make. If someone drives a 6 mpg gas guzzler to the shop, should they be viewed as a more committed customer than the one who drives a Prius, just because it costs them more to drive there? Air fills are generally not a profit center either, and are offered as much for cutomer convenience as revenue.
scuba_punk:
She basically got the impression that he felt we owed it to him to purchase big-ticket items. Obviously those small purchases were not valued or held in any regard.
Certainly, you don't owe it to anyone or any shop to do business with them. As for the value of small purchases, your interpretation is possibly correct. In several cases, I have gone to my LDS to pick up something small that they didn't keep in stock (a foldable snorkel, for example). I have asked the onwer, 'Would you prefer to order it, or for me to go online and get it myself?' For some small items, he suggested that it would be quicker and cheaper if I did it directly. I actually saw that as good customer service. But, I also have a much bigger, broader relationship with the LDS.
scuba_punk:
so hopefully he sees this and learns his lesson, the economy is bad as it is and if you continue to upset people with your bad attitude and feeling that customers owe you something you probably won’t last.
A good point. A LDS is truly customer-facing. That is the value a LDS offers - they are more than a disembodied voice at the other end of the telephone line, or a group of electrons oprganized to form letters in an email. The face-to-face interaction is where they should shine.
Drewski:
Now I'm sure you'll see a bunch of people jump up here and defend the LDS mentioned, so I'd suggest that THEY call the LDS and attempt to straighten the issue out for you.
I certainly won’t jump in to defend the LDS, based on the information provided. From the account of the interactions, I agree that the shop acted in an unprofessional manner. In fact, I think they lost a potential opportunity to convert an on-line shopper to a local shopper. Sad, but true.

Many a divers walk into an LDS and purchase "small" items. If the shop were to lose these customers, I would think that it WILL hurt their shop's profit. Just add up what all these "small" spenders have payed. If it adds up to "chumpchange" then by all means send it to me since it "means so little"

I will endorse Drewski - go to Dive Quarters in Virginia Beach.

Let's not forget that in the dive industry, even small items typically have 100% or more mark up if you sell them at MSRP. The bottom line is that you are a customer, and the customer is always right. More shops will start figuring that out when there are only half as many in 5 years. Me personally, I service my own gear and I have a compressor. Let them go out of business.

Let's not forget that in the dive industry, even small items typically have 100% or more mark up if you sell them at MSRP. The bottom line is that you are a customer, and the customer is always right. More shops will start figuring that out when there are only half as many in 5 years. Me personally, I service my own gear and I have a compressor. Let them go out of business.

The mark up is not limited to the dive industry. It is true with a lot of retail stores in all different kinds of products and services. Don't flame me, I am not saying all but am saying a lot of retail stores

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom