Bad Experiences in Curacao?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My bank card did not work at the resort so I had to walk to a bank. Very bad area. The diving was very nice and the dive people on the dive boat were very nice. The people at the resort who worked there and the guests were not.
But, weren't you among the guests? :confused:

Where did you walk? Breezes is certainly not in a bad area.

Glad to hear that you're coming to Curacao. Divers definitely want to stay in Banda Bou; the west end of the island. The diving is much better than near town.
There are a lot of places to stay that cater to divers; Habitat, Sunset Waters, All West Apartments to name a couple. There is a high end hotel; The Lodge Kura Hulanda. You could also stay 1/2 the week at the Kura Hulanda in town and get the shopping part of your vacation over and then 1/2 at the Lodge out in the country. You can look at Vacation Rentals By Owner (VRBO) or Home Away and rent a house or apartment. There are budget apartments like Lagun Blou or All West. We have a 3 bedroom vacation apartment in Westpunt if you'd like more info, let me know.
In our opinion and since this is "scuba" board others will agree that most of the dives can easily be done by shore. Our local dive shop back in NH wanted us to put together a dive package but I couldn't justify an $80 2 tank boat dive or even $30 a day for unlimited air unless you plan on 4 dives a day. On the west end you can get air at Habitat, Daibooi, Porto Marie, Cas Abou, Sunset Waters, maybe Santa Cruz (?), Lagun and Kalki for just 6 to 8 dollars a tank. If your wife and daughters do not dive, the snorkeling is great at Lagun, Cas Abou and Porto Marie. There are also small reastaurants there so you could have lunch with them during your surface interval.
A lot of divers stay in Westpunt. We've met quite a few at our weekend restaurant and been dive buddies during the week.
Most only go to Willemstad once during their stay; usually on the day before they fly home, preferring to dive everyday. The drive downtown is only 40 minutes.
The other side of the coin would be if you stayed at Breezes or Lions Dive, you might end up only diving the east end spots; which there are quite a few nice ones including the wreck of the Superior Producer and not bothering to drive "out west". Depending on the ages of your teenagers, they might want to be at Breezes, Lions Dive or the Royal Sea Aquarium so they can walk to Mambo Beach or Wet and Wild to the party scene at night. There is no party scene in Banda Bou and I think the entertainment at Sunset Waters etc. might be a bit tame for kids.
Curacao has something for everyone, especially divers. We moved here last March and have become a part of our area and even around town. I don't think that the locals are unfriendly at all. Many are a bit reserved but all will gladly help you with directions and such and will certainly talk to you if you initiate a conversation. There is petty crime everywhere. Leave your skis unattended in the NE and you risk not skiing in the afternoon, pockets are picked in every major city. It's the same everywhere. Please get insurance on your car. Chances are if you are to run into any problem it will be someone breaking into your car. Do not leave anything inside. In 11 months I have only been asked for money once. There are kids/people at the grocery stores, the dump, and some gas stations that will help you for a guilder (.57) or two but in my opinion they are attempting to work for it. Your friend may only be used to US customs and standards. The lodgings here are only 2 or 3 star facilities and should be accepted as such or as I suggested, rent a place on your own; many do.
Hope you have a great trip. Let us know if you'd like company on a dive. We live a third of a mile from Alice in Wonderland; it's our favorite dive site.
Sunshine
Curacao Sunshine - Rental Property on the Island of Curacao

I was in Curacao in December. I won a week at Lions Dive through a silent auction. The dive operation was great. They are PADI through and through. The hotel was excellent. I went downtown on Thursday night before Christmas and walked all through the streets. Never felt threatened. The driver's etiquitte sucks. They are impatent and fast. I personally found it to be sligtly more expensive than Bonaire. I have been there 17 times in 15 years and am going back in five weeks.

Marine life was fantastic. Saw turtles on most every dive.

All in all was a fantastically relaxing vacation.

Ed and I go over to Curacao often for shopping. I would have to say that if you choose an all inclusive, the likelihood that you will stay on the resort is great, so you many not experience all of "Curacao".

There are definitely places you don't want to go to alone at night. My girlfriend and I however enjoyed an evening in Otrabanda. We walked along the water front toward "The Fort", looked into some shops, then had a couple of drinks and a great dinner in town.

Another time my husband and I went shopping and on a Sunday went over to have lunch in Punda (the shopping side). It was not good. We saw quite a few guys high or stoned (or whatever you want to call it) walking the streets, talking to people not there, etc. We also had beggars! That was a shock! One of them actually chased us to our car. Granted, he was very nice about it (Please sir let me wash your car), and we didn't feel that threatened so much (most of the people are harmless on Curacao), but if it was a tourist, they probably would have freaked.

I HIGHLY recommend the area of Westpunt. It is north, about 35-45 minutes out of town (north west) and it is absolutely beautiful.

All in all the curacaoians that I have dealt with have benn 95% really nice.

Best of luck.

hi my wife and I went to breezes there.last June. The people were not friendly to us. My bank card did not work at the resort so I had to walk to a bank. Very bad area. The diving was very nice and the dive people on the dive boat were very nice. The people at the resort who worked there and the guests were not. The food was not good also. Would never go back. To me sandals is the way to go.

My family and I have been to Breezes Curacao and liked. We had not problems with credit cards at all. The area around Breezes and MLK Blvd. was totally safe.

I did not find the guests of the staff unpleasant. Some wait staff were more pleasant than others but we enjoyed it there. The food at the Japanese restaurant was very good. The food at the Italian restaurant was OK. Jimmy's buffet had good variety and was pretty decent.

My daughter was thirteen the last time we stayed at Breezes and she would go back over and over again if the choice was left to her. She loved the trapeze events every day.

If you are trying to compare Breezes Curacao to a Sandals resort that is not a fair comparison since there is a huge difference in price between a Sandals resort and Breezes Curacao. The same is true is you are comparing to a Beaches resort.

We walked over to the Dive Bus and all the way down to the aquarium and encountered no problems whatsoever.

We also walked around Punda and Otrabanda (sections of Wilemstad) and felt totally safe. We were walking around before dark but others we talked felt safe in the main areas of Wilemstad at night.

I stayed at Habitat Curacao last year. Loved the easy access diving and clear waters. The island is larger than Bonaire, so it takes a bit longer to get around, but a great destination if you are looking for something with good diving AND great culture.

Thank you to Liz and "Sunshine" - your posts are dead-on!

My family and I have been to Breezes Curacao and liked. We had not problems with credit cards at all. The area around Breezes and MLK Blvd. was totally safe.

I did not find the guests of the staff unpleasant. Some wait staff were more pleasant than others but we enjoyed it there. The food at the Japanese restaurant was very good. The food at the Italian restaurant was OK. Jimmy's buffet had good variety and was pretty decent.

My daughter was thirteen the last time we stayed at Breezes and she would go back over and over again if the choice was left to her. She loved the trapeze events every day.

If you are trying to compare Breezes Curacao to a Sandals resort that is not a fair comparison since there is a huge difference in price between a Sandals resort and Breezes Curacao. The same is true is you are comparing to a Beaches resort.

We walked over to the Dive Bus and all the way down to the aquarium and encountered no problems whatsoever.

We also walked around Punda and Otrabanda (sections of Wilemstad) and felt totally safe. We were walking around before dark but others we talked felt safe in the main areas of Wilemstad at night.

Also, considering that my wife and speak only Englsih and my daughter speaks English and a little Spanish we had no problem communicating on the island. As someone else mentioned most people that you encounter speak at least two languages and one of those is usually English. Many people on the island speak 3 or 4 languages of the following languages (Papiamemto, English, Dutch, Spanish).

The only folks I ever head tell of who you couldn’t count on to take offense if sufficiently slighted were Mother Teresa and the Dalai Lama. The Antilleans in general are pretty tolerant but this is their island and there are things they expect of “good guests.” Like greeting a shopkeeper when you enter their store.

In America it’s acceptable to walk around silently in a store, at least until you bump into the shopkeeper, and there are European cultures where it is the habit to treat a servant like they are invisible, but neither will fly here. If you seek out the shopkeeper when you enter a store and greet them (English will do but Papiamentu is better), you’ll reduce the possibility of being treated rudely about 90%. The same goes for waiters and maids.

I use a modification of the rule I was taught for saluting in the army. I greet everyone who comes within conversational distance and makes eye contact with me. It at least shows you’re not trying to avoid them (or, worse, wishing they were somewhere else).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom