Bad News From Santa Rosa Blue Hole

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What kind of magic goes into designing a scrubber that won't be overloaded?
Megalodon is the rebreather used by the US military. My guess is that those guys need one where they have to haul ass at times. I have noted that Megs are a bit larger than the others.

So it isn't magic, but basic common sense that a greater capacity is designed in.

Megalodon is the rebreather used by the US military. My guess is that those guys need one where they have to haul ass at times. I have noted that Megs are a bit larger than the others.

So it isn't magic, but basic common sense that a greater capacity is designed in.
You should probably stop commenting on something you obviously know little about.

You should probably stop commenting on something you obviously know little about.
You could also not be rude and explain what limitations the Meg has in terms of overbreathing.

You could also not be rude and explain what limitations the Meg has in terms of overbreathing.
I will gladly explain this to you although I don't know if it is useful on this particular thread. The megalodon, while having been designed with ample space in all parts of the breathing loop to prevent breathing resistance does not have any special features or devices not found in any other rebreather. Just good engineering. WRT the military application of the MEG it might be used for what you think it is.
MODS if this post is off topic please remove...

I will gladly explain this to you although I don't know if it is useful on this particular thread. The megalodon, while having been designed with ample space in all parts of the breathing loop to prevent breathing resistance does not have any special features or devices not found in any other rebreather. Just good engineering. WRT the military application of the MEG it might be used for what you think it is.
MODS if this post is off topic please remove...
What about material used for scrubbing? Chemistry is important.

What kind of magic goes into designing a scrubber that won't be overloaded?
Really...

What about material used for scrubbing? Chemistry is important.
I'm not sure what you are asking here - it seems like you think that each rebreather uses some proprietary media for scrubbing CO2? If so, I think that is why you got the response you did from @wedivebc.

There are a few different types of scrubber material out there, but they are not unique to any type of rebreather. The chemistry of the CO2 removal is the same, but the path the gas takes through the scrubber material can vary from unit to unit.

I'm not sure what you are asking here - it seems like you think that each rebreather uses some proprietary media for scrubbing CO2? If so, I think that is why you got the response you did from @wedivebc.

There are a few different types of scrubber material out there, but they are not unique to any type of rebreather. The chemistry of the CO2 removal is the same, but the path the gas takes through the scrubber material can vary from unit to unit.

You and possibly the other guy didn't understand me. I do appreciate your more productive tone. Yes, There are a number of scrubber materials. One can see this from just a Google search (which led me to this:
Carbon dioxide scrubber - Wikipedia). It appears that CO2 scrubbing and O2 extraction is a 2 step process as the chemistry formulas vary for different materials for different materials. I am seeing soda lime being mentioned the most for rebreathers, but is that the only one? If not, then yes, the chemistry is exactly the same. If there are different materials being used, then the chemistry will be different. I like to get to formulas. As my high school advanced chemistry teacher said "When in doubt, mole it out" (he did prepare me fairly well for all the chemistry courses I took at university).

Proprietary scrubber? Certainly not. Does everyone use the exact same scrubber? You tell me. I will say that air flow design is important in engines (Kawasaki is very good at this). Wouldn't the same science/engineering also apply to rebreathers? My first guess would say yes, but my first guess may be wrong.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom