Bad Shark...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you stay in a group and nobody is spearfishing (or fishing) around you, the chances of an attack from a shark (even in Jupiter where they are fed) is very, very small - not something to really worry about. If you are driving down here, I-95 is a lot more dangerous.

Great. And I'm scheduled for my first real oceanic deep and OW dives off of Jupiter next month. Sigh. Someone tell me it's still a good idea to do!
Go for it! But definitely ask the locals.
And maybe that $650 shark deterring device might be good investment.

Ok DD, I will trust your judgment. I am going with my instructor from up here in CT, and he's gone a few times before. Says it is mostly lemon sharks that we will see, but no brightly colored fins allowed. And no lights on cameras. We are going with Scuba Works. Have you heard of them?

So you are going on the shark feed dives?

Great. And I'm scheduled for my first real oceanic deep and OW dives off of Jupiter next month....

Bring a camera, it will increase the odds that you won't see a shark. :)

I strongly 2nd this advice. If you have a camera, a shark will avoid you and you'll never get a good picture.Bring a Camera on your dive !!

So you are going on the shark feed dives?
I don't think it is a shark feed dive, at least I wasn't told it was a shark feed dive! I am not organizing the trip, my instructor organized it. I will ask him tomorrow if it is a shark feeding dive, and if so, I think I may steer clear. I would rather just go on a dive where you saw the sharks naturally. I looked at the website scubaworks.com, and there isn't much info there about the shark dives.

I strongly 2nd this advice. If you have a camera, a shark will avoid you and you'll never get a good picture.Bring a Camera on your dive !!
I'm bringing my GoPro that I got for Christmas. :)

Yes there certainly is evidence they take off limbs and chunks and I have pictures of what looks like a whole person (in parts) cut from a tiger shark belly. Not sure if that kind of photograph would be welcomed on here. If they take off a calf and you bleed out or they bite off your head, does it really matter?

Your initial post ran counter to what I've heard / learned in the past, so I was inquiring. I won't bother you about it again.

I'm bringing my GoPro that I got for Christmas. :)

Get one of these before the trip:

Men's Military Army Style 2 Tags Chain Necklace :thumb2:

They are associated with Emerald Charters. On that boat, they feed sharks and do some things that I do not support. One of their customers died on Thanskgiving, although it had nothing to do with sharks, from what I was told.

The owner of the charter was recently successfully prosecuted for illegal shark feeding activity. He has apparently relocated his feeding locations a few hundred yards further offshore - where the State of Florida has no jurisdiction and the activity is legal.

It is my understanding that there is a Bill in Washington to make this sort of activity illegal in federal waters as well, but right now, the practices are legal. I have never been on that boat myself.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom