Bad weather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

baitedstorm

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/forecast/MapClick.php?CityName=Bastrop&state=TX&site=EWX

Good Lord, where do I start??? Is this like my old school Florida hurricane days where I need to rush out and buy food, water, and rum? How does one drive on um... ice and what the heck is sleet?

I've only been out of my home town state (FL) for about 7 months (so anything below say....75f... and I'm sporting a jacket of some sort), this is certainly a first for me. I have to admit, it's freaking me out a little not knowing what to expect or what to do.

:sofa:

awesome link... Thanks! I'm really not looking forward to freezing, but it will definetly be something new... :11:
SLEET
Also known as ice pellets, it is winter precipitation in the form of small bits or pellets of ice that rebound after striking the ground or any other hard surface. It is reported as "PE" in an observation and on the METAR.

I have asked about ten people about sleet... What the heck is it.. The explanations I was given sounded like snow to me.. Frozen rain, I was told... Well, that certainly was sounding like snow to me. The way it's being defined above sounds more like hail which is confusing to me, it hails in Florida on some of the hottest days. Soooooo, maybe the difference is .... It hails when its hot, and it sleets when it's cold...... Maybe??? :D

sleet is freezing rain. I duno if I can help you with much of this hun, I'm a FL Cracker myself ya know... though I did spend a winter in IN with a friend, but that hardly qualifies as experinced.... I'm tossing this to Kris!

First of all weather has no emotions or motives so it can’t be bad – it can only be inappropriate for a given person’s plans. :D

Maybe this will help.

Freezing rain – really nasty if you have to get out in it. This is rain that is falling through air just at or below freezing but it has enough warmth still from the upper air to not freeze immediately. The water droplets may actually be super chilled, but they don’t freeze until they hit something – like your car, your sidewalk, the road, the branches on trees. This is what builds up the thick layers of ice the road crews have trouble clearing, tears limbs off trees, and knocks down power lines. Best action is to fix lots of hot buttered rum and wait to watch the pretty shine on it when the sun finally comes out.

Sleet is rain that has frozen while falling and are just frozen rain drops. If the ground is cold enough they’re not much of a problem, but if the ground (or your car) is above freezing these tend to melt slightly and then refreeze into chunky ice – unlike the smoother looking ice you get from freezing rain.

Snow is ice crystals rather than little ice blobs that froze at higher altitudes and are falling through air that is roughly the same temperature the whole way down so they keep their crystal shape to the ground. Snow can either by dry and fluffy or wet depending on the temperature and humidity, but either way you get a lot of coverage without nearly as much total moisture content as non-crystalline precip. Snow is the nicest for getting plenty of moisture in the ground at a slow even pace over a period of time. If snow falls over ice sheets from freezing rain or sleet it will insulate it from the sun later and cause it to take that much longer to melt – so be careful if you have snow on top of ice and don’t forget that ice will be under there until the end.

Hail may actually start out as sleet, but because of convection in the clouds (storms) they can’t reach the ground and keep getting tossed back up where they grow larger every trip – and then finally fall when they become too big and heavy for the updrafts to keep aloft.

Now, get some local that is used to driving in frozen precip to take you out into a big open parking lot for a lesson in spin control and learn how long it takes to start up and stop on the stuff.

Hey, Vicki!

I would describe sleet as unflavored, uncolored slurpee or slush being rained down on you. Your weather report made me just a little homesick for Michigan for about 3 seconds. Then the reality of Florida winters brought a smile to my face. Oh, I'm sorry... You're in Texas now. Okay, I'm just being mean now. :wink:

As for driving on ice... I couldn't begin to describe the experience to someone who doesn't understand sleet. No offense or anything. Based on my Michigan life, no preparations are really necessary if you have a normal amount of food in the house (as in enough for a few days). Get hot chocolate :coffee: and marshmallos and yummy warm soup. Okay, I'm back to missing real winters for another two or three minutes. :D

I don't know what kind of equipment your area has to handle icy conditions, though... I wouldn't sweat it... You'll be just fine, sistah!

Love you and miss you!!

Kris

Good luck!!

KBulla:
Then the reality of Florida winters brought a smile to my face. Oh, I'm sorry... You're in Texas now.
:no Not nice, I'm telling Xavier on you..... :D

I'm not going to drive/slide around town if I can help it. I can't seem to find enough clothes to wear to keep warm. I've discovered long johns.....whoa, talk about sexy! I'm going to have to break out my balaclava here soon, that ought to be a smokin hot new look for me.... :rofl3:

Thanks for the advice!

Oh, Baby!!! Please send pictures when you have your new look complete! Just a northern tip here, but you may want to stock up on flannel.

Welcome to Texas, Victoria.

The good news is if the weather sucks, give it a day or two and you'll have different weather (usually, although the july/august heatwave is often an exeption). Not sure where in Texas you are at, if you are in or north of hill country area you will see a lot more cold stuff for a lot longer than Austin and southwards. Long johns help, as does a nice hot toddy by a roaring fire. The tough part is that what was a perfect day for something light and breezy can be freezing cold by end of day.

Good luck dealing with the weather, stay warm, dry and safe thru the icy stuff.

Matt

Vicki,

It won't last long. Especially where you are. If you can hunker down for a day or two then do so and watch TV with a cup of a hot something. No need to get out in it if you don't have to.

Take care.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom