Badly trained?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the United States there is an act called the No Child Left Behind Act. The basic premise is that all students (have's vs. have not's) in a pubic school setting will be equal. Standardized tests, curriculum standards, standards for instructors & academic rigor will ensure graduating uniformity. The lines between poor and better off will be blurred. Same sort of philosophy for scuba industry.

However, uniformity or consistency will never happen. Why, because students themselves are variables. So are instructors. So is rigor. However, if your are a gaining scuba instructor or academic in the classroom you are always responsible. It makes very little sense to label students as bad if you are in direct supervision. You should certainly label as "bad" the instructors who taught them in the first place and did not instill the need for continuing education as a part of their initial certification. If you took the job it's your responsibility. If not, less-than-adequate adult divers are not your concern. As for me, I stay away from problems as much as I can + I also know that no good deed goes unpunished.

X

Thalassamania:
Nothing veiled about it. TEACH MORE SO THAT YOUR STUDENTS WILL BETTER!!! Sure there are good and bad instructors, but as far as I can see there are no good O/W & AOW, at least as they’re presently configured, the time allotted is not adequate even for the best student to learn from the best instructor. Everyone is settling for an inferior product.

I do try to teach more and can honestly say I'm happy in the ability of students I have taught. I live in a small town and run into a lot of them regularly. Getting back to my original thread I'm sure most of
these guys were taught adequately tho perhaps not perfectly once upon a time. I personally expected more from certified divers. But as
mentioned I eventually got them all sorted and all enjoyed a dive.
As you say the time constrictions on a lot of courses is never enough.
I remember myself years ago getting mask clearing real quick but
mastering buoyancy control took many dives. In those days most diving was done with clubs and newbies always had more experienced
divers to learn from which helped IMHO.
Most charter boats here are more interested when your last dive was
and your experience in cooler water than certification level

How can anyone get away with blaming bad learning on the Teachers. Some of our Greatest minds of history had little to no "teaching" It is not the instructor's responsibility to teach them course material. It IS the instructor's responsibility to flunk out those that are horrible and destined to get themselves or others killed.

Read your OWD and AOWD books again, Study them, you'll find more info than everyone seems to acknowledge. But as I have listened to those around me, these books are mearly "common sense" so they glaze over the information enough to answer the questions. That is in NO WAY the instructor's fault. That is the Student's fault. If you are argueing that it is the Teacher's fault then maybe you are one that needed to be left behind.

If you want something, go get it, never expect the teacher to bring it to you. There is always a moral to the story and you never learn it if the teacher writes it on the paper for you.

I agree to some of the points you all make however, Overweighting, no Bouyancy control, are not something to be taken lightly, some folks it takes a long time to get it, some never do, but that doesn't make it the Instructor's fault.

GA Under Water:
How can anyone get away with blaming bad learning on the Teachers. Some of our Greatest minds of history had little to no "teaching" It is not the instructor's responsibility to teach them course material. It IS the instructor's responsibility to flunk out those that are horrible and destined to get themselves or others killed.

Where are you getting this from. Each agency spells out the responsibilities of it's instructors and I've never seen any put it this way. The instructors is responsible for teaching. They present course material, they must demonstrate skills, they must supervise skill practice and they supervise the first applications of those new skills to actual diving. Further it is the instructors responsibility to determine when the students skills meet performance requirements for the course.

The student being "horrible and destined to get themselves or others killed", as you put it, is not the measure. The measure that the instructor must apply is the performance requirements laid out by the agency. The agency "should" have useful and meaningful performance requirements.
Read your OWD and AOWD books again, Study them, you'll find more info than everyone seems to acknowledge. But as I have listened to those around me, these books are mearly "common sense" so they glaze over the information enough to answer the questions. That is in NO WAY the instructor's fault. That is the Student's fault. If you are argueing that it is the Teacher's fault then maybe you are one that needed to be left behind.

I would suggest that you read it again and note some of the things that are missing...common sense or not.[/QUOTE]

If you want something, go get it, never expect the teacher to bring it to you. There is always a moral to the story and you never learn it if the teacher writes it on the paper for you.

I agree to some of the points you all make however, Overweighting, no Bouyancy control, are not something to be taken lightly, some folks it takes a long time to get it, some never do, but that doesn't make it the Instructor's fault.[/QUOTE]

Yep, some never get it. The point is that they should get it before being certified to go into an environment where they will need those skills after taking a course that claims to be teaching those skills. When course standards fail to require adequate skills or when an instructor fails to insure that student skills meet course requirements then there absolutely is fault with the agency and/or instructor.

GA Under Water:

That is in NO WAY the instructor's fault. That is the Student's fault. If you are argueing that it is the Teacher's fault then maybe you are one that needed to be left behind.

Learning takes many shapes and forms. Student desire to learn and continue to learn is foremost as you've intimated. However, an instructor should be more than up to the task. Having seen many less-than-adequate instructors out there who do you think is primarily responsible for creating pools of less-than-adequate students?

I'll give you an example: At Catalina I had my crew of AOW students survey the dive site, divemaster & students discuss the diving procedures and safety plan (I supervise that conversation) gear up, conduct buddy checks, check-in and get ready to splash - time 15:00-20:00 minutes. Meanwhile, a group next to us (with their instructor posing and smoking a ciggy) lounge around vs. getting prepped. I overheard some of the conversation and it was anything, but about the dive. My group splashes in, surfaces from the dive only to see Mr. Ciggy’s crew fumbling down the stairs to the Avalon dive park. Great!

During the second dive I see two of Mr. Ciggy's students underwater. Mr. Ciggy is nowhere in sight. I signal to my divemaster and crew to back off and stay put. Ciggy’s students are on their knees rock hopping. The female diver is semi-wrapped in kelp, the male partner is doing nothing except for waving his hands like Tinkerbelle. I had no idea what in the world the two were doing. I go to them and give them an "OK". They do not respond. I do this several more times. No response. I then use common gestures like go up. They don't get this either. I am flabbergasted!

At this point I back off and just watch. The two continue sitting on their knees doing the "Tinkerbelle" wave. Meantime, I sneak a check at their gauges and quietly undrape the female from the kelp. Two minutes elapse. Enough time on these two. I need to rejoin my crew who were observing from about 40-50 feet away. Thank heaven for good viz., a trusted divemaster and competent students! My students gave me a “crazy” sign as well as a “huh” shrug. I kept scanning for Mr. Ciggy.

My AOW group finished their dive. This debacle underwater set forth a truly interesting discussion about diving, personal responsibility, readiness and teaching. In short, the students felt it was incumbent upon the instructor to have taught them basic diver sign language and at least a minimum of buoyancy skills. What was truly appalling was that Ciggy had allowed incompetent divers to enter the water and dive without supervision. My group finished our dive. When we left we saw Ciggy's student's gear in disarray next to us.

In the end I bet Ciggy (the jerk that he was) probably qualified these students, gave them a firm pat on the back and probably sent them on their way to other instructors with their OC/AOW cards in hand.

Grrrh - X

NO matter how high the standard is for BOW training if a student sits out for an extended period of time before diving again they will have some problems. Diving does require some level of ongoing participation in the sport to perfect and maintain proficiency. As others have said here a comitment to ongoing training and practice either inside the structure of additional certifications or just practice with a buddy under the boat on basic skills is esential.

I believe that a student who has initially been well trained in boyency control and trim will be a more confident and comfortable diver than a poorly trained student even after an extended layout.

My biggest gripe with training practices has to do with ratios that are really too large for an instructor to safely work with students in perfecting skills in midwater rather than on the bottom. Its up to the individual instructor to reduce ratios and then to transition students from C/W skills which are almost universally taught to kneeling students to O/W performance in midwater with solid trim.

We used to get a lot of divers from lake Malawi, apparently the water is always calm, no currents, great viz etc. When they got to Mozambique it was a different story, raging currents, surge at 30m, scary launches. They had done all the skills, dives etc, but the training conditions were too good. Normally the instructors recognised the guys who would need help and spent more time with them. The biggest bit was confidence building.
A few dive sites in Southern Africa will require an AOW and 20 dives

Tollie:
NO matter how high the standard is for BOW training if a student sits out for an extended period of time before diving again they will have some problems. Diving does require some level of ongoing participation in the sport to perfect and maintain proficiency. As others have said here a comitment to ongoing training and practice either inside the structure of additional certifications or just practice with a buddy under the boat on basic skills is esential.

I believe that a student who has initially been well trained in boyency control and trim will be a more confident and comfortable diver than a poorly trained student even after an extended layout.

My biggest gripe with training practices has to do with ratios that are really too large for an instructor to safely work with students in perfecting skills in midwater rather than on the bottom. Its up to the individual instructor to reduce ratios and then to transition students from C/W skills which are almost universally taught to kneeling students to O/W performance in midwater with solid trim.

Some good points. I don't see the point in talking about what happens to divers if they lay off diving for a while when they weren't ever any good in the first place, they can't forget it...nothing from nothing is still nothing.

I prefer to see students doing skills midwater before ever leaving the pool (confined water). Then it's a snap in OW. In both confined and open water, skills would be done in buddy pairs. For example, if a diver a diver is replacing a lost mask and needs a reminder that his depth is drifing, it's his buddy who should be helping. Learning to help a buddy manage those issues is just as important as learning to manage them yourself. I'd rather not see divers in OW until AFTER they can demonstrate this.

Early in training when divers can't yet completely avoid the bottom, I still detest kneeling. People go through life upright except when they are sleeping and they need to get out of that habit for diving. I can't think of a case in diving where going vertical is the answer and the tendancy to do that is natural AND causes all kinds of trouble.

In OW when one buddy team is demonstrating a skill, I have no problem with waiting students having a tactile reference to keep them from drifting or wandering off and in some conditions it might be absolutely necessary. I still want them horizontal and neutral though. This is diving and if we aren't swimming we are hovering not kneeling. Maybe standards only require a 30 second hover but I require hovering whenever we aren't swimming.

IMO, ratios are generally always to big. Forget skills demonstrations and look at the tour portion of the dive. If divers are led around in a pack on all their training dives when is it that they demonstrate that they can plan and conduct a dive with a buddy? I prefer 2 or 3 diver teams and I want to see them dive while I do the following. If I need to help them, they need more work. At minimum, I think it's absolutely critical to have the students do the last dive or two without any help from me (I just watch). How can you say that they are qualified to dive independantly if they've never planned and condicted their own dive?

I don't believe in these 5 minute tours either. New divers need time in the water beyond kneeling on a platform doing skills or waiting to do them.

Notice that this means the instructor doubling up on at least some dives for an average sized class...or having more than one instructor. Any way you look at it it's more time and work.

This brings up other problems. I was a PADI instructor but reading the above, would you think that I could ever see my way to taking students on OW dive 1 immediately after CW water dive 1 (as PADI prefers) when critical skills like buoyancy control, ascents and descents aren't even taught until later in the course? What a total waste of a training dive at best and a dangerous mess at worst.

I can't offer this class at the market price of an OW class and I won't offer an OW class any other way. For me, the only answer is to not offer any class. I don't know of an agency who is behind such a thing (or even seems to understand it) so I have no choice but to have no agency. The "poor training" we see is literally designed right into the standards.

I take part of that back. There is one agency and even though I don't agree with that agency about everything (like the disappearing ink certifications), it's the ONLY agency that I currently feel comfortable recommending to a new diver.

come on people , warm water, cold water , skills should be up to mark . experience seems to be the missing factor.

Carribeandiver:
warm water trained or cold water trained, it should have no difference in skill development. However, I do know that OW training should incorporate buoyancy control as part of the course.
As a matter of opinion, I believe buoyancy control can keep you out of trouble or lack thereof have you in trouble as much or more than not knowing how to clear your mask or find your regulator with a J sweep.
Why doesnt OW training include PPB? That should not be a specialty, it should be a basic skill.

I teach it as part of my OW Classes

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom