Baggage fees.. Tightening the Screws

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now that is just not being prepared. As DD about the time he NEEDED a kitchen sink.... :rofl3:
Hey, I didn't pack a coffee maker last time, but only because I lost my 2x70# limits. Picked up one at Mega. :cool2: And I use my lightest bags, no longer using the 2 heavier ones I used to use.

I dunno? :idk: I take only the stuff I really think I need, including some backup parts, but it really adds up. I know that my fins are bigger & heavier than many others, but I no longer take a spare set, and I know that my BC is bigger & heavier than most but gee.

Ok, so my 19 cf pony, reg, and spare reg do add quite a bit, 15-20# for those, but my main reg is in roll-on. I do like clean undies every night (studies show than many men don't) and a clear T-shirt for dinner, but I don't take spare shoes anymore and I certainly don't take a lot of clothes. It just all adds up a lot.

I stopped wearing underwear in the tropics to save weight for my camera gear.

Hey, I didn't pack a coffee maker last time, but only because I lost my 2x70# limits. Picked up one at Mega. :cool2: And I use my lightest bags, no longer using the 2 heavier ones I used to use.

I dunno? :idk: I take only the stuff I really think I need, including some backup parts, but it really adds up. I know that my fins are bigger & heavier than many others, but I no longer take a spare set, and I know that my BC is bigger & heavier than most but gee.

Ok, so my 19 cf pony, reg, and spare reg do add quite a bit, 15-20# for those, but my main reg is in roll-on. I do like clean undies every night (studies show than many men don't) and a clear T-shirt for dinner, but I don't take spare shoes anymore and I certainly don't take a lot of clothes. It just all adds up a lot.

Like I've said in other threads, I do a little laundry (undies included) in the hotel sink using hotel shampoo as laundry soap, and hang the stuff out to dry on the deck. It really cuts down on how much you need to haul down with you.

I confess my Aqualung Slingshot fins are far from the smallest most travel friendly fins on the market, but I love em, so I find a way to stuff them in my carry on with my BC, regulator and mask. As long as I get to CZM with the clothes on my back, a pair of swimming trunks, and those specific pieces of dive gear, everything else is manageable if the airline again loses our bags. I always want to dive with my own comfortable gear, and it's not like I don't know where Mega or Chedraui are located to pick up a toothbrush! :D

No way my BC would fit on my roll-on. It fits a large duffel ok, and my roll-on is fully of masks, strobe in case, primary reg, batteries, etc - lots of etc, whatever I can get in it.
Really? Ewwww.....:no:
Some said they was them by hand - yuck. Some said they spend so much time in swim suits, new undies every other day are fine, and I have considered that - but nah, how much can a few undies way. Some answered "other"...? :confused:
I stopped wearing underwear in the tropics to save weight for my camera gear.
:shakehead:

Sorry Don, but I fail to see the need to cover my parts with two layers of clothing in the tropics. I wear a bathing suit most of the day, no underwear with that save for the nylon webbing built in. Post-dive shower, I'm as clean as a whistle, khaki shorts to "look nice" yet plenty of air flow to prevent molds and fungi from growing anywhere unwanted. Do you wear an undershirt under your shirts as well?

I also don't wear socks unless I'm wearing shoes (or with my sandals in the airport so I don't have to barefoot through security). It's not much weight, but if I did wear them, I'd wear a pair a day, which means 7 pairs of socks and 7 pairs of underwear and that's not completely insignificant. Coming home from Coz, our big bag (most of the clothes, plus two sets of fins) came in at 49.5 lbs. It's entirely possible that had I brought underwear and socks, it would have cost me $200 in overweight charges.

Sorry Don, but I fail to see the need to cover my parts with two layers of clothing in the tropics. I wear a bathing suit most of the day, no underwear with that save for the nylon webbing built in. Post-dive shower, I'm as clean as a whistle, khaki shorts to "look nice" yet plenty of air flow to prevent molds and fungi from growing anywhere unwanted. Do you wear an undershirt under your shirts as well?

I also don't wear socks unless I'm wearing shoes (or with my sandals in the airport so I don't have to barefoot through security). It's not much weight, but if I did wear them, I'd wear a pair a day, which means 7 pairs of socks and 7 pairs of underwear and that's not completely insignificant. Coming home from Coz, our big bag (most of the clothes, plus two sets of fins) came in at 49.5 lbs. It's entirely possible that had I brought underwear and socks, it would have cost me $200 in overweight charges.

First, I had to worry about invading someone's space on the plane. Now I gotta worry they are airing out their.... :blind:

I love these undies for travel:

ExOfficio Product Results

Easy to wash, quick to dry.

We bought the Dive Caddy for our trip to Bonaire as we were afraid the bags may get lost and Delta only had 1 trip per week so if our bags did not make it, we had no gear. After packing it several times (I never could get as good as the video), I got everything in it except my wetsuit. It really does fit in the overhead and then all I had was the clothes to pack. Won't help with cameras, but does lighten the total checked luggage weight.

Good Diving
Admiral Brenda
Conch Republic Divers
305-852-1655 office
Online Schedule

Back
Top Bottom