Baggage quesition for Airline Travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gbrandon

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a Aeris Deluxe travel bag that is 2 pieces but zips together to appear as 1 piece. My question is, can I check it with the airline zipped together and they give me my 100 lbs (50 lb limit per bag) or will they make me either seperate them or make me pay a extra baggage charge? Does anyone have experience with this and if so, what airline? To me, having 2 seperate bags just doubles my chance of something getting lost.

My experience with travle that its all down to the attendants booking in your bags.Ive travled with my wife's gear and mine all in one bag and been allowed to combine our allowences.
I travled with a mate who took his scuba cylinder with him on flights ,pillar valve in place but open.
I had been told that this was impossible apart from his cylinder disapearing at Puket airport for a couple of days he never experienced any hastle.
Howard

I normally check-in one big bag and carry-on a smaller bag. In the carry-on bag, I have my dive computer, regulators, and prescription mask. Everything else goes in the big bag. If they misplace my dive bag, I'm not totally out of the game. :thumb:

Don't even bother to take your tanks along. :eek: Prior to 9-11, U.S. airlines require the complete removal of your tank valves prior to being loaded into an aircraft. Post 9-11, I'm not sure they even allow that anymore. You'll have to check with the airline you're travelling on.

gbrandon once bubbled...
I have a Aeris Deluxe travel bag that is 2 pieces but zips together to appear as 1 piece. My question is, can I check it with the airline zipped together and they give me my 100 lbs (50 lb limit per bag) or will they make me either seperate them or make me pay a extra baggage charge? Does anyone have experience with this and if so, what airline? To me, having 2 seperate bags just doubles my chance of something getting lost.

Depends on the airline and the destination............and how alert the agent is.

99% of the screeners will pass a tank if the valve is removed and they are able to look inside, but in the end it is up to TSA as to what goes and what stays because their rules are more stringent than the airlines.

I would have the 2 bags weighed as seperate bags. Then, before they tag them, ask if you can zip them together & have them put a "HEAVY" sticker on them. IMHO if you arrive at the ticket counter w/ one 100 lb bag, they will charge you for having a bag that is over the maximum weight. Having them seperated already and the worst case is you'll be told no & you'll have to check them in seperatly.

I would ask when I got to the counter but if one of them used to load bagage you will more than likely get a NO! the weight restrictions are as much for employee health as well as limits on the aircraft. Think about kneeling in a luggage compartment and dragging 100lbs. instead of 60.

Like I said try but do not be todispointed if they say no.

Good Luck, Good Diving

chuckrt

Thanks.. I think im going to try it with both bags attached and then ask. worst case scenario is they make me seperate them. Seeing as I already have a luggage id tag on each one, it wouldnt be a big deal.

I too thought about the weight issue with the bag. Im guessing the weight will be about 65lbs combined both bags. I will weigh the bag before I leave for the airport. Im planning on travel to tropical climates, so It shouldnt be that heavy (ie, no drysuit, undergarment, etc)

Thanks for all the replies!

Geoff

the general accepted weight limit by most carries when the departure or destination was in the us WAS 70 lbs per bag.

In the age of declinig revenue more and more airlines are changing this policy, many set the new limit to 50 lbs(which is what most others around the world are used to) per bag (usually 2 checked) with an additional charge for bags between 51 and 70 lbs(each way), and an overwight fee for bags over 70 lbs (this is usually at least $85)

If you are a continental elite member they waiver the fee for 51-70 lbs

I was worried about gear getting stolen or lost. I took out the Dan Equipment Policy and have an inventory page I check when arriving at the location and when I return. The policy covers loss or theft while in custody of the airlines too.

I took by gear bag as one piece of checked luggage. It had wetsuit, fins, weightbelt(no weights), rashguard, parts kit & accessories, etc. My 2nd piece of checked luggage was my clothes with room for souveniers on the way home. Both bags weighed in about 45 pounds down and about 55 back.

I had a carry on which was a small rolling carryon with a digital camera, regulators, computer, logbook and I use a ffm which also fit.

It depends on the airline too. Continental (which is what I flew) allows 50 pounds domestic but 70 pounds international. Also, a neat trick to aid your carry on - wear a photographers or fishing vest. If you need to - stuff the pockets! As of now the airlines are not charging people for being overweight. Although if they read this, they might just start!

Southwest is charging for being overweight. They are making people who are too large for the airplane seat purchase a second seat.
My friend at the information booth at Midway has a great joke about SWA. I will try & get it from her & post it here. It's very funny.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom