Baggage Sriwijaya Air? (actually NAM Air)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billt4sf

Contributor
Reaction score
Fayetteville GA, Wash DC, NY, Toronto, SF
# of dives
500 - 999
Does anyone know what will likely happen when we show up with two bags per person, each bag pretty close to the 50lb limit? (Or any suggestions how to avoid long delays)?

We carry lots of gear, including an empty 6L pony tank (the head will be off).

Their website is uniquely non-helpful.

There is this:

Screen Shot 2017-09-27 at 14.53.09.png

Just trying again to see if anyone knows the baggage situation on Sriwijaya or NAM Air?

Does anyone know what will likely happen when we show up with two bags per person, each bag pretty close to the 50lb limit? (Or any suggestions how to avoid long delays)?

We carry lots of gear, including an empty 6L pony tank (the head will be off).

Their website is uniquely non-helpful.

There is this:

View attachment 428090

I haven't get beyond the limit, so I'd like to know too.

It looks like you get 10kg extra for dive gear over the 20kg limit, then they will charge you. @chillyinCanada said the extra weight fee was $3.5/kg 3 years ago. Sriwijaya Baggage Fees

Usually they tally what you are over the total then send you to the cashier to pay. My husband usually stays with carry-on bags off to the side and I do counter check-in. Once you go pay which can be quick or take an excruciatingly long time you head back to check-in counter give receipt then they hand over boarding passes.

Usually they tally what you are over the total then send you to the cashier to pay. My husband usually stays with carry-on bags off to the side and I do counter check-in. Once you go pay which can be quick or take an excruciatingly long time you head back to check-in counter give receipt then they hand over boarding passes.

Do you know what they charge for a second bag?

Or for a an empty pony tank?

The first time we went to Raja we had 4 checked bags totaling 88kgs. We paid in Denpasar, then again in Makassar. Stand in line to pay at a counter that wasn't open yet. Opens. Didn't have enough Rupiah. Go to other end of airport to exchange dollars for Rupiah. Paid twice more going back.

Fast forward a dozen trips. Two Rimowa bags that weigh 5.5 lbs. each empty. One giant duffle that holds two sets of light weight gear plus clothes, spare strobe and tools. Three total bags weighing 55 kgs. One full DSLR rig and one video rig all in carryons. The two Rimowas are 4 wheelers and the duffle fts across the top. I have rolled them over many miles.

At one point I got a crazy. I had a spreadsheet of every camera/housing bit, dive gear item, and clothing with it's weight and approximate cubic dimension. I would then "select" items for the trip and assign them to a specific bag. I could get a weight for each bag. I'm a bit more relaxed than I used to be. The biggest pain is when you have a mix of flights on airlines with and without carryon weight limits.

Just have plenty of cash and get there early. Not my favorite airline. If you can book on Garuda they allow an extra "sport" bag of 22.5 kilos and are much more professional.
Nobody says anything about carrying on lots of heavy gear and I would for sure take anything valuable in my carry on.
Jack

Back
Top Bottom