Bahamas: Missing Female Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And as a air hog, the idea of using a full face mask that uses more air so I can hollar "Breaker Breaker!" is not especially encouraging.
Just out of curiosity, why do you say a full face mask requires more air? I can understand needing to "fill" the mask with air, but after that, wouldn't your breathing essentially be the same rate?

Just out of curiosity, why do you say a full face mask requires more air? I can understand needing to "fill" the mask with air, but after that, wouldn't your breathing essentially be the same rate?
Actually, I've never used one, but I thot I had heard that? Maybe not...?

I'm with DD on this. I have been in this thread since the beginning and I don't think a buddy line would have accomplished anything. I can't imagine that this diver would have tolerated it or responded to it based on what has been posted about the event and descriptions from people who knew her.

I have to agree as well. From what I understand, she was angry about being required to have a DM with her--she probably felt a bit humiliated by it. I can't imagine how she would have felt if she had been required to be on a leash as well.

@ fjpatrum - Air consumption increases noticeably when using a full-face mask. I used them as a volunteer diver at the aquarium, and noticed that an Al80 lasted just under an hour. Then again, I was required to keep up a constant state of chatter to the visitors while underwater - I'm sure that had something to do with it. By contrast, I could usually get at least 1.5 hours when scrubbing and cleaning the same exhibit using only regular dive gear.

Yes, the full-face mask could increase the air consumption, but probably that depends upon how much actual talking the diver does. I haven't used one for years, but when I did I did not seem to use more air. But then, I wasn't talking either--just used it for minimizing heat loss.

One advantage of a full face mask is that an unconscious diver does not breath water and drown. This could have implications for some diving mishaps, such as CO poisoning (not that DD is interested in that aspect) :wink:

Again, I am surprised that these are the same dive techniques used 30 years ago that we are using now. But our water craft for divers has decreased. Usually, we use technology to decrease the need for skills, which happens in diving with the use of the BC (we used to call it "push-button diving"). But the same basic problems exist today that existed in the 1970s; we really have not made much progress.

SeaRat

Now that I think about it I think underwater comms should be a standard. I have made every dive except the one on this thread with a slate. I keep thinking back time and time again about it, we were in tropical water, a perfect day, what could go wrong? The fact that I couldn't find my slate that morning and chose to dive without one dispite seeing them in the dive shop as I waited for what seemed like forever while all of the divers checked in for our dive. Never again.... Ever.. I read the posts saying if a diver is intent on putting themselves in harms way you shouldn't risk your own safety, then why do I see Police talking to jumpers? If you saw a person about to jump of a building would you not say anything? My sadness is not for the death of Mrs W, but for the fact that I feel I could have saved her. I saw what was happening, could see that my wife was having a bad dive, but most likely woulnt have died had I left her, but didn't react to every thing that I felt was right. I had seconds to make the call and I feel it was the wrong one. I know if a person were to follow the rules of diving it was the right call that's a no brainer, but imagine if it were your spouse. True she should never ever be in that situation, but she was!! Imagine another diver felt like they could help but chose not to. I know it wasn't my responsibility and I have always told my wife never even rely on me to save you if you have a bad dive, I truly believe any diver should be 100 percent equipped with the equipment or skills to take care of themselves should anything go wrong. A buddy is truly a last resort, any diver who places themselves in the care of a buddy is foolishly miss placing trust and risking their life.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom