Balanced Diaphragm 1st stages, D-R, Hog, or OMS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

T. Bix

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm currently setting up my doubles rig so I can practice fine tuning my trim and bouyancy during the summer before I head down for cavern and intro to cave (or cave 1) next winter. The three that I'm looking at are the Dive Rite, Hog, and Oms. I don't know if it's important but my plan was at least for now to couple them with my (Excelently performing) Dacor Olympic (diaphragm) second stages, Not sure if that could be an issue but it may be worth mentioning. The cost and appearance is fairly close on all three so they may be made in the same factory????? I posted the question on another thread but thought better of jacking someone elses subject.

Thanx in advance
Dive safe
Bix

I'd go with the DR. It's the same first stage as the HOG one, except in black. Although the HOG version has a bottom 5th port, DR is set to come out with their version of it in the coming weeks. If you send a few emails, make some calls, you can always find awesome prices on DR gear. OMS has been known to have terrible customer serivce. HOG and DR actually get back to you.

Overall, the 2 biggest reasons to go DR over HOG:
-DR has been around for 25+ years
-DR has a liberal free parts for life program (100 dives/2 years)

....HOG does have the reg servicing course now though

DR, if you intend to work on them yourself, otherwise the cheapest one, they are all the same internal design. All will work just fine with your Dacor second.

Best deals on New balanced regulators here: Scuba Regulators | Scuba Diving Regulators | Dive Regulators | Scuba Max: at Divemastersupply.com Set your doubles up with new regs and save huge..

well, yes and no IMO. I've seen some of the scubamax stuff before. Same OEM as DR and HOG, but they cheap out on the chroming and alot of times and some of the platic parts are not smooth (hard to explain, kinda speckled?)

Not sure about HOG, but I think DR used upgraded internal parts

You can find DR/HOG for around these prices if you look hard.

$580 for a doubles package here, with the proper length hoses and an SPG....
Dive Rite RG-2500 Doubles Regulator package [RG2500pkg] - $580.00 : Cave Adventurers!, We will NOT be undersold!!!

If you are looking for a good first stage at a good price, check out this thread:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cl...-diaphragm-first-stages-yoke-din-60-each.html

These are the same as the OMS r-250, but cheaper.....

I read through 29 pages of that thread and found two problems, does anybody have any more feedback on these regs? For the price I'd buy an extra and keep in the gear bag.

I own one of these first stages (I live local to the shop selling them). It's a Coltri Sub regulator and while I'm not a huge fan of how the hoses route on a singles rig, it's been a rock-solid performer for me.

What two problem did you find reading the thread?? :confused:

What two problem did you find reading the thread?? :confused:

The top post on the last page (29) says he had one blow on him after six months of use was the first direct report of a failure. And just in general there seems to be a problem identifying and purchasing HP seats. Not a terrible track record but still worth mentioning. I guess for the price you can't be too picky but with my life on the line I guess I want to be sure these things aren't blowing to pieces in the water. I doubt that they are but still worth asking the question.

Thanx for your help
Bix

The top post on the last page (29) says he had one blow on him after six months of use was the first direct report of a failure. And just in general there seems to be a problem identifying and purchasing HP seats. Not a terrible track record but still worth mentioning. I guess for the price you can't be too picky but with my life on the line I guess I want to be sure these things aren't blowing to pieces in the water. I doubt that they are but still worth asking the question.

Thanx for your help
Bix

I bought three rebuild kits when I bought mine and when the IP starts to creep, I will rebuild it. FWIW, that reg is over two years old with ~150 dive on it right now and the IP locks at 130 (I turned it down when I bought it) and I use HP tanks usually filled to 3800 (I'm told that's pretty abusive on the HP seat).

I don't think you'll regret the purchase (especially at $60).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom