Bali diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

c8rsl

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

My husband & I are going to Raja Ampat in late Oct for a 14 day liveaboard trip & were thinking of adding on a week of diving in Bali. We are pretty experienced & like to see a variety of critter & reef life (not wrecks). Any ideas? Thanks

I know you said not wrecks but the USAT Liberty wreck at Tulamben - and the surrounding area - is great for critters and other marine life/ The wreck itself is pretty broken up and open. Early morning or night dives there with the bumphead parrotfish are not to be missed

The other highlight IMO would be the mantas and (in season) mola mola off Nusa Penida - which you can do as a 2-dive half day trip out of Padang Bai

If you're into muck try Maluku Divers in Ambon. Also some nice reef/dropoff dives across the bay.

c8--Welcome to SB. Yep, do BALI! I did pretty much what you are considering back in Dec. 2010. Spent a wk in Bali before flying to Sorong & then doing a Raja liveaboard. Great combo of destinations. Denpasar (DPS) is a good way to connect w/ Sorong (despite the over-night in Makassar) and Tulamben is maybe a 2 hr drive from DPS. You could dive there either before or after Raja, depending on your connections from OZ. Loved it so much I'm heading back to Bali next wk for 2 wks. Low cost, great diving, wonderful people. As Tortuga mentioned, the Liberty wreck is the big draw (though it seems more like a fish tank than a wreck!) but certainly not the only Tulamben diving. Seraya is 10 min. away (great muck divng) and Amed maybe 30-40 min., very nice coral & critters there.

Stayed w/ Tulamben Wreck Divers last time and are staying at Liberty Dive Resort this time. Both have great pkg prices, low cost rooms, free breakfast menu, free transport to & from DPS airport...Wow, good thing I only have to wait another week! Here are links to both places. // ww
Dive Bali with Tulamben Wreck Divers - Bali Diving - Home
Liberty Dive Resort - Home

Last edited by a moderator:
You could add the week on BEFORE your R4 LOB and stay on Nusa Lembongan for a few days to try to spot mola-molas. That's about the time they leave the area, so they may be gone by the time you get there, but maybe not! If they're still hanging around, it's a really magical experience to see them hovering motionless in the water as they are surrounded by butterfly and angel fish cleaning them off. While on Lembognan, swing around to Manta Point for the eponymous mantas that are there year round. Then head back over to Bali for a few more days. I recommend spending those days at Tulamben to dive the Liberty wreck, which as noted above is now more of a reef than a wreck with huge fans growing on it and every square inch covered in life. I like to stay right on the beach (e.g., at Scuba Seraya) for shore dives at one of Bali's best muck/macro habitats.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom