Bali Earthquake

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chillyinCanada

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Bali Earthquake | 9 News Perth:

It is so funny and ironic that they make such a big deal out of something that happens with great frequency there in Indonesia... I love how they needlessly scare people then urge tourists to still go. Just like the volcano that erupts every week and each time the news runs around screaming.... Volcano! They are really hurting tourism in Bali...

It is so funny and ironic that they make such a big deal out of something that happens with great frequency there in Indonesia... I love how they needlessly scare people then urge tourists to still go. Just like the volcano that erupts every week and each time the news runs around screaming.... Volcano! They are really hurting tourism in Bali...

The real killers are the motorbikes.

I saw a van right off the road on a straight stretch. No idea how it could have gone wrong the way it did in the spot that it did.

My Balinese friend said no biggie. The source is far away on the southeast coast of Java.

Australian news... love negative news on Bali! It feels like Rupert Murdoch really hates the Balinese. Maybe he's had a bad experience here?
You have to wonder... We Americans and our news outlets have much of the same relationship with Mexico. The news is always trying to scare people about some stupid idiot that drank too much and died. Most Americans are afraid to travel anywhere other than Hawaii or any island in the Caribbean via a cruise ship with 5,000 of your closest friends.

I think everyone needs the earthquake app on their phone so they can see just how many earthquakes occur everyday around the world. Just a quick peek shows me New Zealand has had 17 today. I can't even count how many California has had.

Ho hum - our love/hate relationship with our Cancun or Ibiza. It's a 3 hour flight from Perth $99 tickets cheap and doable for a long weekend dive in crystal bay or taking a tribe of kids on school holidays to ride elephants and "schoolies" - the equivalent of Spring Break I guess.

There was a 6.5 just off the Broome Coast a couple of days before, first story to air was sardine cans falling off a shelf in a supermarket and the obligatory interviews with "survivors" . The best yet - interviewing "terrified victims evacuated and stranded in Phuket shopping malls" after an 8.6 and an 8.2 - on the other side of Sumatra!

I was actually diving through the 8.6 - 414km from the epicentre...in Sumatra. I declined a telephone interview.

Bali and Australia do have an odd relationship. It's cheaper for me to fly to Bali and grab a nice room with meals and diving included by over $1000 than to do it in QLD. Aussies also had our 911 moment there too - I worked it out more Aussies per capita were killed in the Bali bombings than Americans in the twin towers. Cheap flights eventually lured us back but I personally can't see the point in going to any destination 35 times per year...and they're not even divers, just sit around getting drunk for the most part. I also think as well as being way over represented in scooter crashes and balcony falls the Aus media behaved in a ghoulish manner of the executions of two Aussie drug traffickers. Interviews with the man in cilicap who made the coffins and live coverage til the shots rang out.

Media tit for tat squabbles annoy me.

On a more relevant note - Just remember, earthquakes have to happen - if they stop were in big trouble. My field of study is geomorphology - I've dived through 5 quakes and TBH I've been annoyed at missing out on the whole cup falling off the table thing on land.

There's something pretty interesting going on with the Australasia plate edges :wink:

ETA - the location of that quake made me raise one eyebrow.....something. Might be tommorow at 11.22am...might be in 500 years. I actually did a quite useless degree.

I was in a bunker on a golf course down near Uluwatu when the earthquake happened the other day, still put it on the green... but I did miss the putt for par.. I blamed the earthquake for moving the hole..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom