Banana drama

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi , I recently went on a charter vessel,I packed my own lunch which included a bananna, once the skipper saw me unpack and about to consume my bananna he snatched it out of my hands and threw it overboard claiming it to be bad luck and then demanded that if anyone else had a bananna to do the same and he wasn't mucking around, I was pretty amused by the whole ordeal and told a few friends later and they had all heard of it before but didn'tknow the story behind the myth,Just wondering if anyone does?

We eat bananas on my boat all the time, 75 miles offshore even..........

The first time I heard about the Banana thing was on the recent trip to Saba Island. I took my bananas anyway and I ate them, too. I usually have a banana between dives. Why? I am type 2 diabetic and I need to keep my blood sugar up during dives. Bananas are one of the best means for boosting your blood sugar that will allow your body to maintain its blood sugar level over a period of time. Besides, I like bananas.

If a boat captain insisted that I get rid of the banana, I would. I would eat it and then throw the peel overboard.

I am anti-banana. I have had equipment failures, poor dives, and once a family's car got hit in the parking lot back at the shop when people have had bananas on board. I don't make a big fuss about them beforehand, but if I see one I ask that it be ingested or returned to the car. On board I'll usually let it go but ask that all bananas stay behind in the future.

You don't have to like it, but they make me uneasy and I would think that as a diver, you'd prefer your guide to be in good spirits.

As far as what goes on boats; they are not public transportation, there is no one who will tell a captain that they have to do anything including who they must take on their boats. If anyone wants to throw a stompy-fit at the dock because they are being refused service because of a banana (or any other reason), there is not a law enforcement officer in the world that will force the boat to take you. If you actually decide to throw said stompy-fit at sea and the captain decides to have the Coast Guard remove you from the boat (which they can do, and can do it for reasons including "I don't want this guy on my boat anymore") you will find yourself in a pile of trouble since you've now violated maritime statutes which are by and large much more restrictive and harsher than the land-based penalties. You do not get to argue with the captain, period. It's mutiny and it's not dealt with lightly.

So, just ask about the stupid banana ahead of time and if it's really a deal-breaker if you can't take one with you, find another op.

Sometimes a banana is just a banana.

Rachel

This is a great thread! :)

Taking all the other various comments aside, it is the Captain's boat and he sets the rules. So he says not bannanas, but he will not refuse any medical-related stuff. Rules of the sea folks, rules of the sea.

You don't have to like it, but they make me uneasy and I would think that as a diver, you'd prefer your guide to be in good spirits.

Rachel

Actually, I would question what "spirits" were in you if you see a correlation between the banana and any accident occurrence. Perhaps the Captain's toenail length is the culprit?

bananas.jpg

:banana:
:banana::banana:
:banana::banana::banana:
:banana::banana::banana::banana:
:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

[c].

2ilkhdx.gif

[/c]

Actually, I would question what "spirits" were in you if you see a correlation between the banana and any accident occurrence. Perhaps the Captain's toenail length is the culprit?

I choose to blame the bananas. Far easier to control and way more pleasant than having to hog tie the captain for toenail measuring and subsequent clipping.

R

Back
Top Bottom