Banks: cascaded vs parallel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If bank pressure would be under 3000 psi anyway I hardly see the point in banking. As I mentioned earlier, it is better for the compressor to run it one time for 10 hours than 10 times for 10 minutes each. I'd double check the pressure on the bank bottles, 200bar sounds like they might be O2 storage bottles, all the air storage bottles I've ever seen are 4500 psi /300 bar.

Cascade storage cylinders are available in lots of different pressures and volumes. My own bank has some 2400's, some 3600's, and some 4500's.

Or would the "one giant bank" setup be a better idea.Why is this so? Thanks once again.

No its worse here is how.
1 If you filled one cylinder at a time but had all four(4) of your storage bank cylinders open here is the result:
1st divers cylinder 190 barg OK happy customer just
2nd cylinder 180 barg
3rd cylinder 171 barg
4th cylinder 162 barg
5th cylinder customer pissed (you do the maths)
So say only 3 reasonable fills with the bank all valves open.

Even worse is if you attached all 7 of the empty divers tanks and opened all 4 of the storage bank valves (equalisation) together the whole system bank and customers tank equelize out at 148 barg.

(barg is short for pressure bar gauge as opposed to pressure absolute) Iain Middlebrook.

Thank you everyone for your replies.

The type of filling that my club (it is a University club, run by students) does is usually "after hours" filling. In other words, they have their own cylinders which they rent out to all of us so they usually fill them outside of rental hours so that when people come to rent, they have full cylinders.

However (because they are students and they are lazy :wink:) there are regularly times when there aren't any full cylinders available and they need to be filled quickly so they customer can leave. It seems to me that the cascade system would be best for this. Lets hope that the club knows this.

For the record, they have two little Bauers which pump 190 l/min.

Back
Top Bottom