barracuda attack august 5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

update--Tom Goreau was e-mailed a picture of a large barracuda (3.5-4 foot long) by another diver several weeks ago, encountered on a boat dive in 30ft. waters off of Chankanab (favorite haunt of the submarine). Tom says it looks like the critter who attacked him a year ago at Cardona. Further queries made by Tom, and guess what? a number of Mexican DMs are feeding this fish. Watch your fingers when you dive Chankanab or Cardona.

richard ruschman:
update... a number of Mexican DMs are feeding this fish. Watch your fingers when you dive Chankanab or Cardona.

"touching" critters is such a big topic nowdays...feeding them should also be on that list!!!

I don't think this is following park rules either!!!!

richard ruschman:
update--Tom Goreau was e-mailed a picture of a large barracuda (3.5-4 foot long) by another diver several weeks ago, encountered on a boat dive in 30ft. waters off of Chankanab (favorite haunt of the submarine). Tom says it looks like the critter who attacked him a year ago at Cardona. Further queries made by Tom, and guess what? a number of Mexican DMs are feeding this fish. Watch your fingers when you dive Chankanab or Cardona.

I'd love to know what op - so I NEVER even think of using them !

sharky60:
"touching" critters is such a big topic nowdays...feeding them should also be on that list!!!

I don't think this is following park rules either!!!!
During our Surface Interval last trip we anchored off of the Chankanaab park area and went for a snorkel swim. While we were out swimming the DM and captain threw watermelon at us. We were swarmed by jacks, and several of the divers were bit in the feeding frenzy. Nobody was really hurt, but I sure didn't appreciate it. The DM and captain got a big laugh out of it.

Jerry

After seeing numerous barracudas while snorkeling at Akumel I decided I didn't like dragging around my little disposable underwater camera (very shiny in the shallow water)

B000066HUG.jpg

Tim Ingersoll:
Those things always make me a little nervous when they shadow you for a dive. First time I ever heard of an unprovoked bute.

Wow! sorry to hear about this. I just got back from a liveaboard where our dives were shadowed by many barracudas. I looked at one that was the closest to me and he showed me his dental work! That was a little intimidating. I was told by the DM on board that they are harmless and that they are a divers watch dog. Yeah right! it was strange how they just remain stationary and watch you the whole time...

Is it true that barracuda go for the shiny stuff?
At least one well known Coz DM regularly uses a common table knife, stuck up his shorty sleeve, as a noise-maker for those he's guiding. On our most recent dives, I watched him pull it out and "throw" it toward a barracuda. The barracuda struck at it repeatedly as the knife made a "helicopter" fall to the sandy bottom. The DM would pick up the knife and repeat this, with the same result, time after time. Kinda fun to watch. It made me push my wrist watch under my 3 mil PDQ.

ckofabq:
Is it true that barracuda go for the shiny stuff?
At least one well known Coz DM regularly uses a common table knife, stuck up his shorty sleeve, as a noise-maker for those he's guiding. On our most recent dives, I watched him pull it out and "throw" it toward a barracuda. The barracuda struck at it repeatedly as the knife made a "helicopter" fall to the sandy bottom. The DM would pick up the knife and repeat this, with the same result, time after time. Kinda fun to watch. It made me push my wrist watch under my 3 mil PDQ.

The answer is an absolute YES. I think you answered your own question. In rare occurances they have struck divers, snorklers and swimmers worldwide, causing very serious injuries. There is no question....they are attracted to shiny objects, especially those that move and are highly reflective.

As of now there is no single repository worldwide for the documentation of barracuda attacks. It is believed that numerous attacks go unreported every year because of this.

Regards,

Cudabait:
I think you answered your own question.
I guess this was your first encounter with a rhetorical question.

Back
Top Bottom