barracuda attack august 5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry to have been toung-in-cheek. You obviously have true knowledge.

ckofabq:
Is it true that barracuda go for the shiny stuff?
At least one well known Coz DM regularly uses a common table knife, stuck up his shorty sleeve, as a noise-maker for those he's guiding. On our most recent dives, I watched him pull it out and "throw" it toward a barracuda. The barracuda struck at it repeatedly as the knife made a "helicopter" fall to the sandy bottom. The DM would pick up the knife and repeat this, with the same result, time after time. Kinda fun to watch. It made me push my wrist watch under my 3 mil PDQ.

I read an account on another forum by someone who wanted to get a closeup photo of a barracuda. He moved in to within a few feet of the 'cuda, raised his camera, hit the shutter button - and got an EXTREME closeup shot of the inside of its mouth.

Dive watches that are made of stainless steel are still used by the watch industry. Should I be concerned about wearing these types of watches when diving? From what I have been reading, that might be a bad idea. If anyone is an expert on fish behavior, please feel free to chime in.

Dive watches that are made of stainless steel are still used by the watch industry. Should I be concerned about wearing these types of watches when diving? From what I have been reading, that might be a bad idea. If anyone is an expert on fish behavior, please feel free to chime in.

I'm thinking I'll pull my sleeve over my SubMariner from now on.
I have had Cudas shadow me on dives before, very unnerving.

I'm thinking I'll pull my sleeve over my SubMariner from now on.
I have had Cudas shadow me on dives before, very unnerving.
I am really happy with my $20 watch from Walmart. :D Cudas can be unnerving, I know. I've seen big ones on Florida wrecks that would not move, and once when I was new and dumber than now - I fed some dry catfood, and was surrounded in triggers and cudas, one of which followed me to the boat. :silly: I know not to do such now, but anyway...

In February 2009 I was attacked by a single Barracuda in PNG.
At the time I was with a student and had just completed some skills.
I had seen it passing when all the sudden it turned and came straight at my head.
I swear it was after my reg.
My reg has a gold and silver detailing on the front.
It continued to try and attack my face until two other divers showed up and started to make noise and 'scare' it away. After having a go at one of them it took off as fast as it arrived.

If someone says they were attacked, yeap I believe them.

:wink: Your big shinny dive watch is only used as a conversation starter. The guy with the big sea dweller is only compensating for something smaller in his life. :dork2:

Most of us have a dive computer and never look at their watch under water. Either keep it covered under your sleave of leave it on the boat.

I've seen the baracuda be agressive but have never seen them strike. They are just curious and hungry. That's a funny story about the cat food. I bet that was scary. I'll have to try that next time.

do you realize you just dug up a 5 year old thread? :idk:

thanks for the reply and insults. As usual there are those who have nothing positive to add. I apologize for asking questions that may be way below your standards. I shall not make that mistake again.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom