Bashing Each other, It is not necessary. I seem to have done it then I apologize.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I know this will proably bring more nasty comments that I really don't want to read but here goes. I think that some people are treating others on this forum very badly. If your comment(s) were repeated to your child, mother, or family by a stranger, how would you like it? I think that this forum is suppose to help each other and not go about tearing each other down. In my post about the weighting, I was told how horrible my grammar, spelling was, how inexperienced, how I have no reason to become a DM, how I was basically a foll and would look like an idiiot in front of anyone I dive with, how basically I shouldn't be diving and learning to get better by becoming a DM and Instructor someday because I am having a problem with bouyance that is new, and just things that had nothing to do with bouyance or weighting or using new equipment. MY problem as someone said in another string about me is this, I asked a simple question and wanted a few ideas as to what might be causing this new problem. I threw out some ideas as to the cause and I was looking for confirmation I was going in the right direction. If I wasn't the kind of person I was, I would leave this site and never talk on any boards anywhere. I have only had this problem of bashing on this board. I belong to 6 other boards and we do not attack or bash each other like you guys have done here. SO Come on, HERE"S YOUR CHANCE TO SWING AT ME? So take it because this is the only chance you get. I will not tolerate this kind of talk out of anyone and especially grown expereienced divers. If you can't say anything nice after this then do me and everyone else a favor, DON'T SAY anything AT ALL.

beachdivequeenbelam:
I know this will proably bring more nasty comments that I really don't want to read but here goes. I think that some people are treating others on this forum very badly. If your comment(s) were repeated to your child, mother, or family by a stranger, how would you like it? I think that this forum is suppose to help each other and not go about tearing each other down. In my post about the weighting, I was told how horrible my grammar, spelling was, how inexperienced, how I have no reason to become a DM, how I was basically a foll and would look like an idiiot in front of anyone I dive with, how basically I shouldn't be diving and learning to get better by becoming a DM and Instructor someday because I am having a problem with bouyance that is new, and just things that had nothing to do with bouyance or weighting or using new equipment. MY problem as someone said in another string about me is this, I asked a simple question and wanted a few ideas as to what might be causing this new problem. I threw out some ideas as to the cause and I was looking for confirmation I was going in the right direction. If I wasn't the kind of person I was, I would leave this site and never talk on any boards anywhere. I have only had this problem of bashing on this board. I belong to 6 other boards and we do not attack or bash each other like you guys have done here. SO Come on, HERE"S YOUR CHANCE TO SWING AT ME? So take it because this is the only chance you get. I will not tolerate this kind of talk out of anyone and especially grown expereienced divers. If you can't say anything nice after this then do me and everyone else a favor, DON'T SAY anything AT ALL.

For whatever reason, this board and the sister tech board is most infamous for what you describe. You need to develop a grain of salt mentality to weed out the a-holes that post for unproductive purposes. I have to admit I have stooped to the level I describe above in response to some of them.

There are some real divers and good people on the board as well. Forget about the rest.

--Matt

It takes a long time to get buoyancy down. I started with beginners luck, or so I thought. Two years later, I'm still working on refining my buoyancy control. Looking back, some of my fellow DMs remind me of how aweful I was. I still don't think I was that bad, but on retrospect I do have more control now. I would not discourage you from attaining DM if you want to work towards that goal. It's a whole heap of work to get there, and worth the process. I learn something every time I dive. Every dive is a new condition. Something changes, and so will buoyancy. Your body type changes, stress levels, tasks, dive goals, and dive conditions. These contribute to buoyancy beyond the already suggested equipment and weighting issues. It's like driving backwards, not always straight. Going through DM, I had to work on the 18 basic skills again. I have gone over all the skills taught before this point, and that helps. I hope you continue with your training. A lot of people have the perfectly correct answer. I have answers, and they're very much not always the right ones. I think people get vehement on what's right and wrong.

matt_unique:
For whatever reason, this board and the sister tech board is most infamous for what you describe. You need to develop a grain of salt mentality to weed out the a-holes that post for unproductive purposes. I have to admit I have stooped to the level I describe above in response to some of them.

There are some real divers and good people on the board as well. Forget about the rest.

--Matt
Thank you Matt. I am glad to know that it is not just me who has had a problem with this. I am just going to ignore people from now on that do this and they can just go argue with themselves.

downunderjenn:
It takes a long time to get buoyancy down. I started with beginners luck, or so I thought. Two years later, I'm still working on refining my buoyancy control. Looking back, some of my fellow DMs remind me of how aweful I was. I still don't think I was that bad, but on retrospect I do have more control now. I would not discourage you from attaining DM if you want to work towards that goal. It's a whole heap of work to get there, and worth the process. I learn something every time I dive. Every dive is a new condition. Something changes, and so will buoyancy. Your body type changes, stress levels, tasks, dive goals, and dive conditions. These contribute to buoyancy beyond the already suggested equipment and weighting issues. It's like driving backwards, not always straight. Going through DM, I had to work on the 18 basic skills again. I have gone over all the skills taught before this point, and that helps. I hope you continue with your training. A lot of people have the perfectly correct answer. I have answers, and they're very much not always the right ones. I think people get vehement on what's right and wrong.

Thank you so much. I really appreciate that. When I started my Rescue DIver training, I thought I would wind up killing everyone I saved. My MI had me trying to rescue linebacker looking guys. They were huge and I brought them up too fast. My instructor told me then that it wasn't true and that was what training was for to begin with. The reason he had me "saving" such big guys is because that would be a big issue someday in future because I am so little. I don't have all the answers either and that's the point no one else does either. It is just that some people can't admit their way might not be the best but they definely want to tell others how they are wrong without being in their shoes. I love to take advice from people like you who just try to help.

Its an adrenaline sport. Stay away from urban basket ball. They can be down right vicious! :wink:

In my experience, the only times people have been rude to me when I've posted questions here have been when the question belied my undertaking unsafe diving practices, or when I've stubbornly held to the idea that I was right, and didn't want to hear from (often vastly more experienced) divers who felt that what I was doing was dangerous, foolish, or a huge waste of time and money.

When this has happened, I've taken the rudeness not as a personal attack, but as emphatic constructive criticism. It certainly hasn't always been valid criticism, but it has always been worth considering.

It's also worth noting that what may seem rude to one person seems like the pinnacle of restraint to another. There are plenty of folks whose unfiltered but well intentioned opinions have gotten them banned from posting here.

Diving is a dangerous sport... it can get you killed. Sometimes it's hard to find a nice way to tell someone they seem to be itching for a darwin award.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom