Bashing Each other, It is not necessary. I seem to have done it then I apologize.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is actually one of the most "flame free" zones on the net. We don't want to "kill" constructive criticism, but we certainly try to stop name calling and such. Are we perfect? Nope, but we care and do try. Sometimes though, you can mistake passion for rudeness. Some who believe something strongly often come across as "rude", "egotistical", "self centered" and as a "know it all". You need to learn to look beyond the "words" and concentrate on the message. Heck, my mom was pretty rude to me just about every time I tried to play in traffic. In her many more years of experience on this planet, I guess she saw something that I didn't. Thanks mom!

We tend to worry more about "who is right" rather than "what is right". When that happens there is no need for either party to continue the discussion, because the free exchange of ideas has ceased. I try to learn something from everyone... from my harshest critics to those who would never intentionally say a critical thing about me. They all have at least a grain of truth in what they say!

As for the board... our mission statement says it best!

Welcome to www.Scubaboard.com: a diverse online community of scuba diving enthusiasts dedicated to sharing the wonders of our underwater world in a safe, family oriented environment. Our focus is to advance safety, knowledge and enjoyment within the diving community by encouraging the mutual exchange of experiences, ideas and opinions. We sincerely hope you enjoy and benefit from your extended surface interval with us.

I am not gonna answer your poll. To me its too negative. If I had posted a poll, I would ask how many times have you been helped out by the folks here? I have found for the most part the majority of people here are very passionate about diving and actually care about others and want to help others be good divers. Its actually quite selfish helping another out. Why? Well, if I were to help you out and encourage you to learn and practice your bouyancy and trim, you will relax under water, which means you won't be sucking down air as fast, which in turn usually means you will have longer bottom times...which means a possible buddy that isn't gonna be needing to quit a dive because they are low on air. Also, with good bouyancy and trim, you won't be crashing into the coral, or using your hand to stop yourself or turn, or finning hard to move around, silting up my view....

Another thing, about the negativity of the poll. I just recently read in the Readers Digest about lucky people. In the article, they mentioned some of the things people did, and were considered lucky. One such thing was seeing the good in situations instead of bad. The researcher offered the scenerio... you are shot in the arm in a crowded train, unlucky people considered it disasterous, while the lucky people would consider themselves fortunate for not being shot in the head. Its about attitude, and YOU choosing how YOU react or don't react. Its your choice. If complain about the low vis while diving, you won't be taking advantage of going slow and seeing all the little things.

Yes, I agree some of the folks are downright mean here. I can choose to retaliate and get into a headed discussion that only highers my blood pressure and makes me downright irritable, or I can choose to find another thread to read. Nobody has a gun to my head forcing me to answer a personal attack.

With all that, please consider listening to the message, not shooting the messanger.
Have an awesome evening!
Happy diving!

miketsp:
In the light of your post, I reviewed the threads in which you participated and the posts you made.

From what you have posted, you have the determination, you'll make it, but work on the interpersonal relational aspects a little. OK?

...wow... how much do you charge by the hour for this type of in depth analysis?
EXCELLENT!

beachdivequeen, I have started using ScubaBoard only recently (about 2 months), after a couple of years of hanging around rec.scuba (see a couple of oblique posts about that in this thread). I have been amazed at the civilized and helpful attitude of the folks here. If you want to see red-hot flamethrowers in action, go to rec.scuba - it ain't pretty. Any interaction with strangers over the Net requires a reasonably thick skin. I have had some answers here I didn't like, but they were made in a constructive spirit, and in most cases I have learned something, or at least reconsidered by opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom