Basic CCR question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jepuskar:
What do you two think of the AP's temperature stick in the scrubber? Has any other manufacturer come up with any other sort of scrubber monitor? If the EVO's scrubber is rated for 2 hours and I reach the 2 hour mark and the monitor shows the active area is still in the middle...that is a decision to be made...the conservative thing to do would make sure you surface before it reaches the two hour mark..but then the monitor is only used to ensure you dont have a breakthrough before 2 hours and should not be used to extend scrubber life.

J

The primary selling point by APD's staff was that temp stick will let you dive beyond 2hr limit if active area is still fairly low.
Since I dive in fairly cold water I have yet to see a vision/evo diver get anywhere near the recommended limit before dumping sorb based on temp stick info. Anyone I have been with in the water using these rigs has spent more time watching the displays than enjoying their dive. Now my apecs electronics may allow me to be blissfully ignorant of impending doom but I dive my scubber to it's limit all the time in cold water and have never had the least sign or symptom of breakthrough.
I don't believe the the tempstick is very helpfull in cold water but since I have only ever dove a classic inspo I can't say for certain.

That brings up another point...I havent found any test data for a scrubber in warmer water..80 degrees for instance. Do they not supply this for liability reasons...meaning if they post the rough maximum life of the scrubber at cold temps than that will cover them for anything warmer as well?

I would like to know the EVO's scrubber life in 80 degree water...I guess using the temp stick I could find this out while still staying conservative and not pushing it till it tells me to surface or bail...

jepuskar:
That brings up another point...I havent found any test data for a scrubber in warmer water..80 degrees for instance. Do they not supply this for liability reasons...meaning if they post the rough maximum life of the scrubber at cold temps than that will cover them for anything warmer as well?

I would like to know the EVO's scrubber life in 80 degree water...I guess using the temp stick I could find this out while still staying conservative and not pushing it till it tells me to surface or bail...
The problem with scrubber ratings is it's like asking how long will a al80 last an OC diver or will diver A be able to last longer than diver B if he uses a steel 104. The values are very subjective so no one wants to commit to a definative answer.

Hey Stephan....hear the diving in Germany is a little dirty? Been hitting Catalina every weekend with the CCR's....80ft of viz last weekend....millions of Spanish Mackeral and sardines in the water....we're up to 15 KISS units this year and 28 trained since March. Still love my Inspiration...though I dive my KISS mostly for travel and weight issues. I don't look at the boards much ....but I do enjoy the books you write on the web.

VoodooGas:
Hey Stephan....hear the diving in Germany is a little dirty? Been hitting Catalina every weekend with the CCR's....80ft of viz last weekend....
Old sod. :D
Next thing I know you be telling me how nice it is to ride your bike in the CA sun.
Been reading the newsletter, wish I was there. Congrats on the Kisses, knew they
would work well with your shop. Dive save. :)

jepuskar:
Stefan, next time can you go into a little more detail? :)
Sure thing, let me get a cup of coffee and expand a little bit. :coffee:
Just kidding. :mooner:

Of course each maker has their reasons why they designed it that way....im sure there are arguments to be made for each.
Well, I remember asking about some of the design decisions like batteries in the loop and all I got was a skunk eye. :wink: But for most part that's probably true, just as there are people that will agree with them or not. Important thing I believe is that one understands and ponder the differences and their implications before making a decision.

What do you two think of the AP's temperature stick in the scrubber?
A great tool within its limits in my opinion. Can only be implemented (reasonably anyway) in axial scrubbers but there they all should have them.

There are a several things that can lead to CO2 poisoning. A scrubber monitor can warn of some, a CO2 monitor of others. Yet neither can warn of the possibility of the diver not properly venting his lungs, retaining CO2 that never goes through the scrubbers and sensors and have a CO2 hit. Something to keep in mind while diving.

The TempStick responds to the cooling down of the absorbant that has been spend, and deletes the bars in the graph from the bottom of the srubber on up. You know how much of your absorbant has been spent and isn't scrubbing anymore. But a scrubber can be "overbreathed", meaning that too much CO2 flows through it at to high a velocity for all the CO2 to get bound. Iain from HSM did some testing under pressure and high exhaustion where CO2 broke through rather quickly, and a temperature sensor build by his company didn't give much warning of it. How could it, it just shows which parts are active (and they were, past the limit) and which aren't. That's something to consider with or without any sort of monitoring.

You got the maximum amount of CO2 the absorbant can bind, under ideal condition in the lab. You got the scrubber duration and physical capacity, so you can calculate the amount of CO2 that can be removed under the conditions of the test protocol. You can monitor your O2 consumption and get an idea of your CO2 production. So if the temperature and ambient pressure match the test condition you have a pretty good idea how long your scrubber will last. Problem is when those two variables change, as they both influence the duration. That's where test data is lacking, unfortunately. There is some out for the Drägers, MK series and Optima, but not much and not enough. More numbers are needed, different temps and depths.
Anyway, that's overall capacity.

But the two I mentioned above, RMV and high CO2 production rate, worry me. Will the scrubber be able to handle high excertion, even if just for a few minutes? Not a lot of data available. The 1.6 lpm used for CE is high for the entire duration of a dive. The 1.35 lpm CO2 addition the Navy uses, too, but closer. But under high excertion I for one have used up to 2.2 lpm O2, so CO2 production was probably close to 2 lpm. Will a scrubber be able to handle that, and handle it at the end of the dive?

Lots of people take cheap shots at the Azimuth and its ss can. But that thing was tested up to 5 lpm CO2 addition! And lasted longer than any human being could ever sustain at that rate. I wish that sort of testing was done on all scrubbers and published. So add different loop gas velocities and CO2 injection rates to the test regimen. Aside from possible embarrasment due to failure, such extensive testing is financially not feasible for most if not all companies.

Has any other manufacturer come up with any other sort of scrubber monitor?
The Navy has some patent or other for a temp sensor that they've been trying to sell for a few years.

AFAIK the elusive Infinito is the only unit that has a working CO2 sensor, actually warning the diver that there is CO2 in the inhalation side of the loop. While the technology should be available, the cost so far have been restrictive. About a year ago it would have doubled the price of current units like the PRISM or Classic Inspo. There woould be few takers I'm afraid.

But several companies are working on it, and sooner or later it will be available.

As always Stefan....you're a huge help..very thorough.

I contacted Danny Huton who is a Prism Instructor out of the Toronto area somewhere. He is having some rebreather pool sessions for peeps like me early next year...there is one he mentioned where they are trying to line up a lot of different rebreathers to try. I am going to go to one of them and finally try one out. I think this has been long overdue.

From my emails with him, I am impressed on his attitude and advice for me.

J

jepuskar:
I contacted Danny Huton who is a Prism Instructor out of the Toronto area somewhere. He is having some rebreather pool sessions for peeps like me early next year...there is one he mentioned where they are trying to line up a lot of different rebreathers to try. I am going to go to one of them and finally try one out. I think this has been long overdue. J

In additon to doing homework, this is the best possible scenerio for learning about different CCRs-trying them out, side by side. Enjoy and good luck. -Andy

Good question. As far as the nitrogen goes if you are efficent and not blowing bubbles with your CCR you will not be making up any aditional diluent / nitrogen so you are not loading in the tisue. As far as task loading or what do you have to do is always be mindful and learn to walk before you run. They will kill you real quick if you start assuming and letting your guard down. I love my classic inspo, but like Regan trust then verify!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom