Basic Scube equipment...Help!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jcary

Registered
Reaction score
I am looking to start classes for scuba diving and was looking for recommendations as to what brand equipment I should be buying. Also I heard something about a flexable snorkel being better than a ridgid one. Is that true? Or will I ever use it after the classes? Thank you for your time and help!

You should seek the advice of the shop you are taking the class from. The instructors will be most familiar with the brands that they work with, and you will be able to get service there. Keep in mind that most shops stay in business by equipment sales. That being said, you will find many discussions of where to buy your equipment and what kind by using the forum search function.

jcary:
I am looking to start classes for scuba diving and was looking for recommendations as to what brand equipment I should be buying. Also I heard something about a flexable snorkel being better than a ridgid one. Is that true? Or will I ever use it after the classes? Thank you for your time and help!

I'd suggest that you rent equipment for a while until you get a sense of what you like and what you need. This also gives you a chance to try different makes of gear.

Maybe the place you're learning from has gear that might suit you, and they will certainly pressure you to buy as much as they have. Selling new gear is the only way most shops make any money. But you can't depend on them selling gear that is appropriate for you.

Anecdotally, the best gear I have I found from reading reviews, getting feedback from others, and trying it. The least appropriate stuff I had I bought from my the shop I certified with.

DivePartner1:
I'd suggest that you rent equipment for a while until you get a sense of what you like and what you need. This also gives you a chance to try different makes of gear.

Maybe the place you're learning from has gear that might suit you, and they will certainly pressure you to buy as much as they have. Selling new gear is the only way most shops make any money. But you can't depend on them selling gear that is appropriate for you.

Anecdotally, the best gear I have I found from reading reviews, getting feedback from others, and trying it. The least appropriate stuff I had I bought from my the shop I certified with.

As and FYI.. renting gear is not always an option. Our LDS that we did certification through required that students provide their own mask, snorkel, fins.

I am in the central valley of california. As I have never been scuba diving...I am not sure about my interests...but ship wreck diving sounds fun as well as underwater hunting/fishing. (whatever the correct term may be). I am mainly curious about brand quality and price. My LDS seemed to mainly carry scubapro...which also seemed very expensive. But again...I am new.... Thank you all for replying.

jcary:

Any brand name will do.

Your mask is all about fit so visit some shops and see what you like the feel, view and fit of. You may be happy for #35 or as much as $95. If you wear significant prescriptions glasses search recent threads on that topic and figure that into your buying decision.

Get a good enough snorkel, or a dry one if you choose. I would suggest you include skindiving your activites since it compliments your scuba diving and can be done anytime without a buddy if you choose. So IMO you will have an ongoing need for it. Also while there is a vocal population here that don't run with a solid snorkel (or none at all) most of the divers I run into do use one, especially in shore diving where you may want to go out a bit to descent. It's also a good way to get mellow before descent wthout burning tank air. Wet or dty, your choice. I do a good amount of skin-diving in the surf and appreciate my Mojhave (Genesis) dry model. For the money do you really want to train on a community snorkel?

Also plan on booties and open heel (strap type) fins.

You shouldn't need to buy beyond that prior to being certified.

Pete

Get a mask with a low volume that fits comfortably, lds will help you with that. If you may be interested in wrecks get the scuba pro jet fins so you can frog kick with them in the future while in wrecks. You will need a snorkle for class. I dont use one any more because it just gets in the way. As for the rest of your gear, I would do some serious research.

If I knew the what I know now I would have bought a BP/Wing the first time arround and saved considerable money.

Welcome to the boards!
I agree that you should rent/try some equipment first to get an idea what you like (with the exception of your mask, fins, and snorkel).
To answer your questions about good brands...
You'll find as many opinions on these boards as there are brands. I dive ScubaPro, and really really love my equipment. It does have a great reputation as a brand, but you're right...you will pay more. Again, try some stuff out and see what you like.
I woud aslo recomend booted fins.

Have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom