Basics of Ice Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alright... I take offense to the "girly girl" comment (grin). Some of us ice dive, so diver down can't be in our club! (hmmm.... where does that put you then?) Parrothead's right! You're in Canada! Temps not much worse than the summer and the view can be amazing!

I do have to agree that climbing down (and unfortunately up) a cliff along Lake Superior in full gear to get into the water is rougher than ice diving. At one point I think there was a bookie at the top taking bets that I wouldn't make it!

Great thread; Only thing I don't agree with is ''ice diving is not for the weak'' If anything it is for the weak? Think about it.... Take your stuff out via sled, dress by the hole, literally ''slip'' in. Slide out, etc, etc, Not like a long walk and then a decent down slippery rocks with gear on

Sounds like you've never had to shovel 2 feet of wet snow off the ice by hand. :wink:

We also didn't have sleds. :(

Sounds like you've never had to shovel 2 feet of wet snow off the ice by hand. :wink:

We also didn't have sleds. :(

What kinda Canuck doesn't have a sled? That's like an Hawaiian without a bathing suit!:D

So I guess you'd find a few things wrong in this picture.:shocked2::)[/QUO

Everything looks good to me?....State of the art equipment, clothesline tied to your girlfriends waist in the tent,buddy in his wetsuit,yeah your all set.

Thanks for all your posts---I enjoyed them!!!

The snorkel comment was a joke, in case that didn't come across very well in the post.

I know of of PADI instructor who insisted the students WEAR(not carry) a snorkel in the Wreck Diving class.

So I guess you'd find a few things wrong in this picture.:shocked2::)[/QUO

Everything looks good to me?....State of the art equipment, clothesline tied to your girlfriends waist in the tent,buddy in his wetsuit,yeah your all set.

We both had dry suits. I'm on the right side in a jet suit my buddy has a unisuit.
Note the reserve rod on my 72 steel tank. No octo on my buddies rig or mine for that matter, and no spg's. I did set my adjustable reserve valve to 800psi! That was floating poly line. I did have a snorkel! Look at my head you'll see the tip of the snorkel sticking up over the top of my head! I've never dived without one even when I didn't need it. The only difference is I wear it on my left side these days.

Ice diving started like this, two divers mid-winter were joking they wanted to dive so bad they were willing to cut a hole in the ice to do it. 2 cases of PBR later they fired up a chainsaw and a new c-card was born....

I like it. It beats waiting until spring and for those of us that wreck dive in the Great Lakes the bottom temps are basically the same. The no-octo in the pic is really funny....

FYI- Naui calls it tech diving in part because the standards require redundant supply (pony). Its a hard overhead, how is it not tech diving? But that is just me.

Back
Top Bottom