Basics of Ice Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ice diving started like this, two divers mid-winter were joking they wanted to dive so bad they were willing to cut a hole in the ice to do it. 2 cases of PBR later they fired up a chainsaw and a new c-card was born....

I like it. It beats waiting until spring and for those of us that wreck dive in the Great Lakes the bottom temps are basically the same. The no-octo in the pic is really funny....

FYI- Naui calls it tech diving in part because the standards require redundant supply (pony). Its a hard overhead, how is it not tech diving? But that is just me.

We old timers are fond of saying we were tech diving before they had a name or cards for it.:wink:

The snorkel comment was a joke, in case that didn't come across very well in the post.

Nope, I got it. I just got a giggle out of the thought of going on snorkel under ice. I have an evil sense of humour :devil3:
In my case it wouldn't surprise me. I've done a descent on snorkelator...more than once!:dork2:

I have done very similar. A couple times snorkeling off of California I forgot you could not breathe through a snorkel underwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom