Bathing suit ideas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JustJules

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello from a forum newbie. Nice to be here.

I noticed that in the bikini line discussion there was a little mention of bathing suits themselves, so I'm curious about opinions about this. I'm 5'2", 110 lbs, short-waisted and a lot of that weight is in my D chest. For years, I have had to go to shops where I could purchase bikini separates because the tops and bottoms that come together at the department store won't both fit me.

Now that I'm diving, I worry a bit about losing a top or bottom while peeling off a wetsuit. Let's just say that during my open water class, there were some thankfully-unnoticed incidents by the pool where I revealed more than is legal in this state.

Ideally, I would like to be able to find a one-piece (haven't been able to find one that fit me since puberty, unfortunately), but something a bit sturdier and prone to staying put would be nice, too. Any ideas?

Julie

Hi Jules,

I have just one word for you; Dive Skin. Well, I guess technically that's two words, but still. I usually wear a skin under my wetsuit for a few reasons.

1) Make getting into and out of the wetsuit MUCH, MUCH easier. The neoprene slides over the lycra like a dream.

2) Good for some sun protection during the surface interval. It helps get that stick wetsuit off and keeps the sun off the shoulders and back. Diving with a sunburn is no fun.

3) To avoid those little "peek-a-boo" accidents you mentioned above. The skin covers you from neck to ankles so there is no chance of losing a strap when taking the wetsuit off.

Now, if you are like me and tend to get cold easily, you also have the option of getting a Polartec. It's basically a dive skin that is lines with light fleece. It has the same benefits of a skin, but gives the added benefit of being equivalent to almost 2mm of thermal protection. Make the surface interval on those windy days much more comfortable because the wind doesn't cut right through it as it does with a skin.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Cheers,

I have been thinking about a skin, though I wasn't thinking of it as a cover-up. Good point. Thanks for making me think I'm on the right track. Becuase I dive in Florida, it's too warm right now for me to wear a skin and anything else. Well, actually, we had an upwelling of cold water a few weeks ago and I would have killed for a little extra thermal protection. But normally I can dive in a shorty this time of year and be warm enough. A skin would be for my protection while I'm doing things like lobstering.

Do they make shorty dive skins? I know you can get the short-sleeved skin tops, but I don't think I've ever seen separate bottoms.

I have a question about the polartecs. Becuase they're fuzzy and presumably capture some air, do they impact your buoyancy the way a wetsuit does?

Thanks!
Julie

Jules,

I haven't noticed any difference in my buoyancy from when I wear the Polartec and when I wear the skin. Just an extra bit of comfy-ness.

Being down there in Florida, you could probably get away with diving a Polartec for your thermal protection. However, I have never actually been diving down there so I couldn't say from experience.

I don't know if they make skins in a short version, but if you are a little handy with a sewing machine, you could probably convert a regular skin to something of a short version.

Cheers,

I'm not sure I want to use a polartec as all of my protection becuase from what I understand, a skin is pretty easily damaged around wrecks. And it does get chilly down here. We had an unusually cold 62 degrees on the bottom last month... so don't let anyone tell you that Florida is all warm water dives. :)

I'm awful with a sewing machine, but I may look for a place that's willing to do alterations. Good thought!

Julie

I don't know if this would be comfortable or work for your, but I have had good luck with two piece suits with a sports bra-type type top. There are no hooks to catch on anything and open. Having lost a bikini top on a truck innertube inflator while "tubing" the Salt River once, I can sympathize.

I think that the diveskin is a great idea. I like my Speedo onepieces, but for diving I really prefer the two-piece like Alison mentioned. It's easier to change & get in & out of.

-kate

Julie,
I wear a tankini. They are the best invention in swimwear, as far as I'm concerned. Two peices for easy to go to the "Ladies room", and covered up enough not to hang out.
Right before I'm getting ready to jump in I put my skin on, but I take the top of it down in between dives, and get in the sun if possible to warm up.
Have fun!
:sunny:

I wear a one piece uni-type suit from Areoskin... http://www.aeroskin.com/

It's made of polyolefin which is just a bit thicker than lycra and holds up better. The one piece can be a problem for quick bathroom breaks but is worth the hassle. I don't have to worry about it staying in place! Sleeveless, scoop neck and shorty legs makes it versatile...I just throw a t-shirt over it and I'm good to go.

I also wear a tankini. I just love it. Mine is a Tyr make, the straps are cross back version. This helps keep from slipping off the shoulders. It comes in reversible materials, one side is multi colored and the other black. Kinda two suits in one. Materials are suitable for helping with slipping into wetsuits, and I use a dive skin also most of the time. I have a tan thru style bikini that I also wear at times, it is excellent under the suits. However, the straps are thin and tie at the neck which can become annoying if too tight under the wetsuit.

Bottoms Up...Bubbles Up!!!!
Cindy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom