Bay Islands - Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tigerdiver

Reaction score
Anyone been diving with a non-resort operator in Roatan. Several friends and I are interested in the local scene and wanted not to be tied down to the resort the whole time. Anyone have any ideas of where to stay or who to use? Do they have Nitrox?

I went to Roatan last February, but all I'm aware of is Fantasy Island and Anthony's Key.
We stayed at Fantasy Island, but if I were to go back, I would stay at Anthony's Key. There seemed to be more to do on that side of the island (plus the resort seemed much nicer).
Even though we stayed at a resort, we still went outside for other stuff. Went to Anthony's key for dolphin dive. Plus went to another place for a shark dive.
Good luck!

The place you want to be in Roatan is West End. Lots of dive shops to choose from and lots of options for places to stay in a lot of differant price ranges. Plenty of resturants and bars . You can catch a water taxi to West Bay beach if you want for a couple of bucks. We dove with West End divers and Native sons diving. Both were very good . There are several others in town. Just check around and see who you feel comfortable with. Diving is relatively inexpensive. $15.00 per dive in packages of 10. Some places even let you split it up amoung a group. As far as places to stay...it depends on what you are looking for and how much you want to spend. Just get to town and look around. One of my favorites is Keifitos plantation....about a 5 minute walk down the beach from town. Has a communal kitchen,honor system bar,refrigerators.and is pretty quiet and laid back. He has a website if you are interested. I found it much more cost effective to dive and stay on my own rather than the all inclusive resorts. You have more options for food and nightlife. Most resorts are self contained and an expensive cab ride to anywhere else. I would highly recommend you go the way you are thinking...you will be glad you did. Have fun!

Thanks guys for your input as it is always helpful. We're definitely going to concentrate on West End. Is is just me or does it appear that the restaurant and bars seem to close early - 10:00 or before. That's what I guide book I bought indicated. I'm from New Orleans, so this as foreign to me as Roatan itself.

We are going to Roatan Next week and staying one night at the Roatan Yacht Club. Let you know how it is when we get back. So far i have talked to the manager and he is a great guy focused on customer service.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom