BC and Reg Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MeganW89

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello!
I have been diving about 4 years and have about 70 dives. I am also planning to do a divemaster and instructor internship in the next few years once I graduate from grad school and then hopefully work diving into my career. I am tired of renting and looking for a regulator "set" and the BC. I already own mask/fins/snorkel/computer.
I am planning on only warm water diving, I was certified in a quarry in Virginia in 51F and will NEVER do that again. :) But I do plan to travel all over the world do warm water diving.

Here is what I know so far:
For the BC, I prefer the back inflate. I am 5'10" so probably the unisex is better since the girl ones usually cut too high. I also really like the built in inflator/octo idea. I prefer 4+ d-rings (camera, octo, gauge, SMB/reel). I know many of those can overlap but I get concerned that I won't be able to grab on of the safety components without getting tangled up.
So mainly: Back inflate, Durable, lightweight/easy to travel with, 4+ d-rings
Lift should not be a problem. I usually use 4-8lbs in warm water depending on wetsuit.

Regulator- I need 1st/2nd stage primary, pressure gauge and octo (if not built in). I know I want balanced, but that is about all I know about regulators. I have tried and liked the Scubapro MK11/S360.

Budget (I am looking for 2 BC's and 2 regulator "sets". Myself and my Dad.)- I am trying to be around $1500 for the two sets if possible. I'm not trying to go cheapest options but also not interested in the "top of the line." We just don't dive enough to justify that.

Last edited:
If you prefer a back inflate I highly encourage you to consider a backplate and wing.. you can choose aluminum or steel, depending on the type of tank you dive with to minimize, if not eliminate the need for weight pockets/belt altogether. They are streamlined and you can add as many d rings as you like.. you will also add a crotch strap which is a fantastic addition, not on many BCs. Wearing this will keep everything firmly on your back without it slipping and moving along your back. What you will realize the more you dive is that less is more.. You do not want to lots of unnecessary rings, clips, padding, etc.. I dive with 1 D ring on each shoulder strap and one on my left side. I can clip everything I can ever need on a dive. I have had 3 additional tanks clipped to these rings, lights, smb, and other things. What I like about only have one is that I am 100% certain where everything is clipped and don't need to fumble between 2 different rings to unclip/clip something. You also want to keep it simple so you don't get tangled up. I would also strongly recommend against an octo/inflate hose combo. If you have a problem with your inflator hose, your octo is now a problem.. Don't combine components because if 1 part fails, 2 devices are now out of commission.

Advice on Regs is not scuba pro--given your budget. I would consider a Dive rite. I have 6 sets and love them. Great regs. Durable, breathe well at 20 ft and at 200. Also have a Dive Rite Bp/W for my single tank setup and my double/tech setup.. Couldn't be happier.

If I can steer you in one direction--is go for a Bp/W, not a BC. you will feel like you are "free". It was the best upgrade I made from my zeagle ranger which at the time I thought was fantastic..

$1500 is a just a tad on the light side for what you need. if you can give youself an extra $200-$300 you can get a fantastic setup that is better than so many of the gimic equipment that is sold and targeted to suckers who are enamoured by marketing and bells and whistles that are designed by engineers, not divers.

I would suggest 35 lb lift, even in warm water.. If you progress the way you say you will you will soon learn the importance of redundancy. This will lead you down the line to consider a bailout bottle for deeper recreational depths. Check out DiveRite.com and divegearexpress.com, diverightinscuba.com and other retailers to start costing things out.

So as you can see I personally am a dive rite fan!

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

This is the Zeagle forum, a place for discussion of Zeagle products. That is the only acceptable topic in this forum. Several posts have been temporarily unapproved because of this limitation pending a decision by the Zeagle representatives that moderate this forum.

not surprising. OP, if you want unbiased opinions, request that get moved out of the mfg specific subforums. May or may not include Zeagle, but will give you the best advice

+1 for what tbone1004 said about your future employers most likely will require you to use whatever bcd/regs they sell and use as rental gear. With very few exceptions, the DMs I have seen were using at least the same brand, if not the same equipment, as their rental gear. Although I do not have nearly as much dive experience as many on this board, and you may well get some disagreement with my comment, but I can count on one hand the number of DMs I have seen in the U.S., Caribbean, Australia, Indonesia, and Fiji using a bp/w. That comment is certainly not a criticism of the bp/w on my part, it just seems to me to be the economic reality of employees promoting the "store brands." If it were me, I would hang on to my money until I knew who I would be working for, where I would be working, and what equipment I would be required to use.

my apologizes for the earlier post. I did not realize it was a zeagle forum. Find a shop to work for first.. then get a discount on gear through the shop. They will want you in their gear anyway as Altamira states. If you want advice shoot me a PM. Zeagle makes great products!

$1500 for both sets is going to be a bit tricky, but we can probably get close.

BCs, you'll likely want to look at either the Scout ($299) or Express Tech ($349).
The Octo-Z is usually around $229, but IIRC, there is usually a discounted price of ~$160 or so when purchased with a BC. Your local Zeagle dealer will know for sure if this is still the rate.

So that puts you right around $460 leaving you just under $300 for the reg.

You could get the ZO Onyx on Closeout or Envoy II for $299.

The Scout is the entry level BC, but still quite capable. You lose the ditchable integrated weights that the other models offer. Express Tech does offer the Ripcord weight system. If you plan to dive with a weight belt, get the Scout. Otherwise, get the Express Tech. If you use the Octo-Z or another combo inflator/octo, you won't need use a D-Ring for the Octo keeper. You will, however, need to donate the primary in an air-sharing situation. Though, it seems that a lot of the agencies are teaching this way, so likely not a big deal.

On the Regs, Onyx is midrange, but looks like it's being phased out. Envoy has always been the entry level. Of the two, I'd probably go with the Onyx. The Envoy deletes the diver adjustable breathing resistance knob, but the Onyx has it. Don't worry about the Onyx being on the way out. Zeagle regs all use the same kit, so you'll be able to get it serviced.

I dive Zeagle, and have been very happy with my gear. Currently dive a Stilletto with a Flathead 7 and Octo-Z. My daughter dives with a Lazer with a DS-V and Octo-Z.

But like the others have said, if pursuing this professionally, the shop will likely want you wearing gear that they sell.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom