BC Help!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaAJ

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ok so I need a BC...the problem however is that I am limited to either ScubaPro or Mares, which is fine by me considering that I get a 40% discount on both.

What I need to know is what is your personal opinion on which is the best BC for both these makes for an up and comming scuba instructor like myself. I will be diving at least twice a day so it must be durable.

I went to the LDS around the corner and they showed me the nighthawk which I thought was great however I am unable to currently test a nice BC for myself due to time constraints :depressed:

Any ideas???

Ok so I need a BC...the problem however is that I am limited to either ScubaPro or Mares, which is fine by me considering that I get a 40% discount on both.

What I need to know is what is your personal opinion on which is the best BC for both these makes for an up and comming scuba instructor like myself. I will be diving at least twice a day so it must be durable.

I went to the LDS around the corner and they showed me the nighthawk which I thought was great however I am unable to currently test a nice BC for myself due to time constraints :depressed:

Any ideas???

You will be making a decent investment in your scuba equipment, don't rush into anything take your time and try everything first before you commit. If you do intend to continue on and become an instructor bear in mind that most shops prefer that instructors and DM's use equipment that they sell.

Ist piece of advice would be to recommend against getting an integrated Octo on your BC :)

I can tell you that Scubapro is excellent equipment, very well made, and would last you for many years. I have been diving their "Classic" style for years and it still looks almost new because of proper care after diving. Never had a single problem after hundreds and hundreds of dives.

I am going to purchase a new Knighthawk this week! I've never had a true back inflate and to tell you the truth I just feel like buying something new now and then so I'll pick one up this week. I've test dove it a couple of times and loved it. (But I'll keep my jacket style.)

If you can get 40% off then you're getting a great deal! Go for it.

As far as the AIR II, I love mine and much prefer it over a conventional style octo. Just don't know how that would work for you as far as instructing goes.

Good luck in your decision but you wouldn't regret going with the Knighthawk.

I greatly prefer a back inflate to a jacket style, and within back inflate genre, it's hard to go wrong with a KnightHawk:

ImageGen.aspx

However, their new SeaHawk appears to be much more streamlined:

ImageGen.aspx

Mares has (in the US anyway) the Pegasus, which is also a fairly streamlined back inflate BCD. Has a crotch strap too, which is nice...

417256_pegasus.png

As others have suggested, pass on the AirII. You're going to be demonstrating/doing an awful lot of "air shares" once you become an instructor (and along the way there as well if you're plan is 400 dives in the next year) and accordingly you will want to have, at minimum, a more traditional primary/alternate setup.

Good luck - Ray

KnightHawk!! Looking at becoming an instructor..... get an octo PLEASE!!!!!

I dont have experience with either but id go scuba pro.

I have personally seen the scubapro KnightHawk and it's a Nice BC the Mares as RJP has showed also looks good. Back inflate is a Big positive and I would think an Octo is a must. If you have any other option I would go with a Backplate/wing if at all possible. Something like
Halcyon Eclipse/Diverite Transpac etc...

10-Eclipse-System_c200.jpg

I have the Mares Dragon. And I LOVE it! VERY high quality BC. Scubapro stuff also has a v good reputation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom