BC inflator failure.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Many Scuba skills are perishable. This isn't a hard lesson to teach, and in fact it's fun. Us instructors love to make you think outside the box and be ready for most contingencies. You had it down pat when you first got certified and then you bought all that new gear. Years later, the overlooked inflator finally decides to stick open. Are you ready? Will you remember what to do? You've cleared your mask any number of times, checked gauges, kept off of the reef and many, many more skills that make you a diver. But, it doesn't take long before muscle memory turns into mental mush if you don't practice all the basic skills. It's easy to blame the instructor for anything and everything that happens. Hell there's an entire industry based on shifting the blame from the person who made the mistake to someone who wasn't even there. That doesn't help when the caca is hitting the fanola.

I can teach you to dive. I can't make you stay sharp. I can't make you do it the way I taught you. I can't make you remember. I can set the example, but will you follow it? If you want to be a competent Scuba diver, you'll just have to take the onus and be one. It's really not that hard, but it's entirely up to you.

Ah Ha, I see the muscle memory term is alive again! Boy this term really has legs. Practice until it becomes ingrained and also getting something that helps in facilitating this procedure like the (DSS LP hose release flanges) is really a good idea.

To answer the OP question, It happened to me and I posted in the incident forum.

disconnecting LP hose under pressure is easy you don't need to operate any inflator buttons to do this.

When it happened to me, I didn't think about oral inflating. I was at the time at 25m with a nearly full tank (15l steel at 200bar pressure) I swam my rig to the surface With a deflated wing. At the surface I reconnected the LP inflator to fill my wing before disconnecting it again. It was then I realise I could orally inflate.

How many times has the importance of a balanced rig and been correctly weighted Been posted? I had no weights to drop as mine were in cam bands, 8lbs plus SES back plate as I recall in a 7mm suit.

Even if I had remembered to orally inflate I still would have surfaced as I only do ocean dives and wouldn't continue my dive with a defective BCD but that is a personal choice

When it happened to me I was in 20' or so when I continued the dive orally inflating. If I were deeper like you I probably would've ascended as you did.

Back
Top Bottom