BCD choice for drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveToad

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I tried to do a search but didn't see anything on this. My wife and i purchased our first drysuits. Now we are looking at future upgrades to our BCD`s. Is there any design or options to look at that make a BCD work better with a drysuit? Currently she has a Scubapro LadyHawk and I have an Aqualung Dimension I3. Thanks for any input

A lot will depend on how much weight you need to carry and how you want to distribute it. Back inflate for sure, a BP/W gives you weight over the chest and attaching weight pockets for trim is simple.

Anything that allows you free movement and the ability to put the right lead in the right places will work though.

Since the others did not explain...

You want back inflate because the wrap around style of the jacker BCD interferes with the movement of air in the dry suit. You can use the jacket style, but you won't like it.

Since the others did not explain...

You want back inflate because the wrap around style of the jacker BCD interferes with the movement of air in the dry suit. You can use the jacket style, but you won't like it.
Thanks for the info. Yes I can see why the back inflate would be best.

Doesn't the buoyancy not change when diving a drysuit? Doesn't this mean that the bc doesn't need much lift at all because there is no real loss of buoyancy to compensate for? I am wondering because I have an #18 wing and would like for it to work with a drysuit in the future.

Doesn't the buoyancy not change when diving a drysuit? Doesn't this mean that the bc doesn't need much lift at all because there is no real loss of buoyancy to compensate for? I am wondering because I have an #18 wing and would like for it to work with a drysuit in the future.
A good question
1. There are two schools of thought - whether the BC or the Drysuit is used for primary buoyancy. I use the BC for primary buoyancy and inflate the Drysuit just enough to relieve the squeeze
2. You'll probably find that you need to carry more lead (especially depending on undergarments etc too) and stowing that weight can be problematic on some BCs

Everyone I've dived with up here - except for one single exception - dives dry. At least 50% of those use a jacket style BCD. They seem pretty happy with that.

To the OP: I'd recommend you to make sure that the bladder in your BCD - whether it's jacket, back inflate or BP/W - can float your rig with (a) full tank(s). If you go for a steel BP with a bit of non-ditchable weight, the smaller bladders won't necessarily be able to do that. For my (drysuit) use, I need at least 30# lift in my wing for the rig to float without being attached to me.

You may very well find an 18lb wing doesn’t have enough lift for a drysuit. Good rule of thumb seems to be that if a BC is marketed for travel/tropical diving, it’s not going to work for a drysuit.

If you have a BP/W, all you have to do is swap a larger wing for the smaller.

More great info. Thanks all. I think my current BC will work. I will take the class and do a few dives on it and see how it works but all this info here really gives me direction on what to pay attention to.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom