BCD for a Nube

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverpk

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am new to scuba diving and have been researching BCDs for purchase. I'm sure that this has been asked a billion times here, but let's make it a billion and one. I would like to know whether I should look more at getting a recreational BCD or a Tec BCD. I plan on doing more rec diving, but I may look toward a tec horizion later in my diving career.

I also understand that a lot of divng equipment is more about fit, but I am very concerned about quality as well. Price is also a concern. I am looking at keeping the total price to less than $500 (new), but this isn't written in stone and I may be able to save a bit longer if the item is worth it. Suggestions?

Save your money and get the Back Plate and wing. If you are planing on doing tec one day no reason to waste money and by equipment twice. I am not a tec diver, but think the equipment makes since. If price is a concern look at the Hog brand or even Dive Rite. I went with Dive Rite because I found my plate, harness, and crotch strap on sale. Everyone here likes Deepsea supply. I did not see any reason to pay the extra.

Getting a SS backplate and a one piece harness will take you wherever you want to go. Checkout dive right in scuba. They have package that was recently reviewed here. I will try and find the link.

I rented gear my first four dive trips. I avoided a big upfront expense and gave me an opportunity to try different brands, configurations, styles, etc. I then bought gear with exactly the features I knew would work best for me without fear that I would soon wish I had purchased something else.

Reactions: dv
A BC is a BC. There are different types and you can easily get a good one for well under $500.00. Does not have to be a plate and wing, even though they are the most versatile. If not going that route seriously consider the Zeagle Express Tech. Don't be fooled by the name. It is not a "tech BC" though it could be used for that. What it has going for it is all the benefits of a plate and wing for under $300.00. Don't get fooled into thinking a BC is good because it has lots of d rings, fancy padding, pockets, or weight integration. None of these are necessary and only add to the cost.

check with the Zeagle Ranger Ltd. If you call Leisurepro they may get it for a lot cheaper then list too. The ranger is very durabable and yet upgradeable to carry doubles. It has a 44lb lift capacity and many more features too. I personally love mine more then any BPW I have tried but its only my opinion.

There really is no such thing as a "tec" BCD. There are BCs which can handle double tanks, and ones that can't, but many of the ones which can handle doubles can either handle single tanks or can do it with a little adaptation (different wing).

For recreational diving, what is important is fit. The BC has to fit you well enough to hold the tank solid and stable in the center of your back, and it should be comfortable when adjusted that way. BCs which lack a rigid plate component of their structure often have trouble holding the tank still, but many traditional BCs have a plastic plate as part of their construction. Many jacket or back-inflate BCs are made with only one camband, which means you have one thing holding the tank to you -- if it's loose or comes open, the tank ends up on your butt. Such BCs also often have padding, which makes the BC somewhat positive (floaty). That adds to the weight you have to wear to dive, which in warm water is not a big deal, but in cold water can be a nuisance.

If you are thinking that you might want to do staged decompression, wreck penetration or cave diving in the future, it does make sense to start with gear that can easily go on and do that, since there are very few downsides to such gear. You can get a backplate setup for as little as $300 new, but such a rig will also require a weight belt and/or weight pockets, and also that you buy or make something in which to store small items, as the backplate setups do not come with pockets.

If you buy a backplate rig with a simple harness, try to find someone who is diving the same kind of gear who can help you set it up and adjust it. People complain about various things with backplates, from inability to get in and out of the rig, to it pushing them forward on the surface, and most of those problems are simply because the harness is not adjusted correctly.

Back plate and harness. No question. I am a particular fan of the circular Halcyon model. I agree with the other posts that fit is really important. Most people I know that complain about the bp and h systems just had theirs fitted incorrectly.

Good luck and see you underwater!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom