How to choose a good starter BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbennett4001

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello, I am a relatively new diver (33 dives) and am starting to gather gear so that I can do more diving in my local area which is near San Francisco and will likely be doing most of my dives in Monterey, CA. I am looking for a jacket style BCD that fits my skill level and is not too expensive (~$500) because I am a college student. Any brands specifically I should be looking for? What features would be considered a necessity for a starter BCD?

No such thing as a starter BC. A BC will last you a very long time if you take care of it.

Have you tried all three styles? If not try a back inflate and a bpw. Give each a few dives and go with the style you find most comfortable.

For starters, Monterey think stainless back plate, give a little more info about what you have, exposure protection etc. and we can go from there.

Are you dead set on a jacket-style BCD? Have you tried back inflate BCDs and backplate + wings?

If you are willing to explore BPWs, then DGX has a set up that is $399 (+$25 if you go stainless steel), solidly under your $500 budget.

As @formernuke said, there isn't really "beginner" gear in this hobby.... There's just what you get first, and it should serve you for a very long time. On the BCD topic, here's something I've said on it in many threads:

The key thing that I think we should all address (myself included) is that it up to what is best/most comfortable/preferred by the individual diver. I use and love a basic harness with no padding on the harness or plate (even with no wetsuit). One of my boys uses a BPW with an H harness (shoulder straps attach to the waist band with T plates at the front of the hips) and a back pad. My wife hates BPW and I keep a Scubapro Classic jacket for her.
If able, borrow or rent things to try first. If you want a BPW on a budget, start with a basic harness and no pad... and if you want padding add it. If less budget constrained buy the pads up front and try with and without to see what you prefer, then sell the pads if you decide you don't need them. When making the decision, think about the diving you will do. Boats where you gear up and immediately hit the water, all that matters is in water comfort. Shore diving it starts to matter how it feels wearing it from wear you gear up to the entry point.
We all have our opinions (and share them!), but what really counts will be that you find you like.

Respectfully,

James

I will agree with everyone who says that there is not really a "starter BCD". As a beginner diver, you can use any recreational setup: a jacket BCD, a back-inflate BCD, or a BP/W. The distinctions dont come until you start added more tanks, etc.

Correct me if Im wrong, but what I think you really want is to keep the price below $500.

Unlike most of scubaboard, I am not going to insist that you ABSOLUTELY NEED a BP/W. However, as a fellow Monterey diver, I will tell you that I appreciate dropping a little bit of lead (~2-3 lbs), b/c a BP/W doesnt have padding that you will need to sink. (You also replace some lead with the ballast of the BP/W, but you're not really dropping weight, just moving it elsewhere)

The drawback to the BP/W is that you have to put it together. People here will lie and say its super easy to do -- its not complicated per se, but it is a chore to painstakingly adjust, readjust, etc. until it fits you perfect. It was a PITA for me. But you only have to do it once. (One option is to buy an adjustable harness, but that may put the cost above $500 - basic webbing is super cheap).

Someone already put the DGX package up = an economical, no frills BP/W for $400 ($425 for SS, which you'd probably want). Basically what I dive.

However, there is nothing wrong with a back inflate BCD, or even a jacket style if that is what you prefer.

One thing I recommend is 2 tank straps, or make sure the one tank strap is secure. Ive seen too many tanks slipping through the years. Oh and for Monterey diving (thick wetsuit or drysuit), you want at least ~30 lbs lift (which is exactly what the DGX wing provides)

I dont have any brand recommendations. I am cheap, so you can look for clearance BCs on Scuba.com.

Unlike most of scubaboard, I am not going to insist that you ABSOLUTELY NEED a BP/W.
LET'S BURN THE WITCH!!!

okay, seriously now. As already stated, there are 3 options out there. As you stated in your post, you are a cold water diver. Due to the amount of lead required, it is very convenient to remove 6 lbs with a stainless steel backplate (5 lbs) and single tank adapter (1 lb). The weight is close to your body, and a little higher up that address the typical issue of divers being foot heavy. Add a couple trim pockets to the cylinder straps, and the rest in ditchable pockets, and you have a system that is easily fine tunable with weight distribution.

With back inflate and jacket style BCD, you'll need that extra 6 lbs of lead that you need to distribute. Cheaper, entry level BCDs don't always come with two cylinder straps. People sometimes mash all their weight into the ditchable pockets, sometimes exceeding the maximum recommended amount of weight.

In general, you want 2 cylinder straps, and if you don't have a BP, then you need both ditchable and nonditchable pouches in your BCD, but you must be able to distribute the weight such that you hover effortlessly horizontally.

Distributing weight for the cold water diver can be a PITA.

Renting a couple of different brands and styles is really the best advice anyone can give you. And IMHO, buy the best you can afford. If you belong to a club, someone will be more than happy to give you some advice on gear selection. And if you are disciplined in your gear purchases, you may be able to keep your overall dive budget under control from year to year.

You could try to rent/borrow until you know what you’d really like?

Back
Top Bottom