BCD, Regulator, or Computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:goingdown:Someone gave me an Aquarius reg, I borrowed a tank from the local fence builder, that didn't want it back, and my mate and I alternately shared the top and bottom of a wetsuit.
We grabbed masks snorkels and flippers and went:goingdown:

My first choice would be the regulator as I feel it is the most personal of diving equipment. Next I would move towards the dive computer rather than using different types at different locations. Important to be familiar with the dive computer and how to operate it. BCD woud be next and then the wet suits. Dont forget to check your local dive show or even ebay for good prices on equipment. Good luck.

:goingdown:

You said that you were keeping to recreational limits (60' or less) - The big advantage of a computer is when you start getting deeper than 60' (tracking your depth realtime rather than all of your time at the deepest depth). For this reason, if I had to choose on a reg set or a computer first, I would go with the computer. I use a cheep water proof watch (100 meter) from WalMart as my backup timer to my computer or as my timer when one of my kids gets my computer

Computer is also pretty good for novice divers, as most of them allow the user to set depth and/or time alarms. In addition, they will alarm if you exceed NDL...and provide guidance on emergency decompression if it were then needed.

Whilst you shouldn't become reliant on the computer, at the expense of your awareness, during the dive... it adds a nice 'safety net' as you gain experience.

Back
Top Bottom