BCD Storage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i think there are 2 different discussions going on here...

1) i belive the op is asking about best means for a dive operation to store unassigned gear.
2) the answers seem to be about best means for divers to store assigned gear.

for 2) i prefer a dedicated full time accces lockable locker ala the divi in bonaire or a full time dedicated seat on a liveaboard.

for 1) every dive op i have noticed jams them together on hangers in size order, taking up the least amount of space possible. after each use they spend several hours baking in the sun to try to get them dry before being stuck back on a hanger and jammed into the rack
Hi Giffenk, thanks for the reply. I don't mind both discussions happening. I've seen dive centers doing that, drying the BCs under sunlight before putting them back to equipment room but I have also seen dive centers just put wet/damp BCs straight to the equipment room. Any pros and cons?

By the way, what do you charge at the charging station?
Mostly batteries. I use rechargeable batteries for my cave lights and AI wireless pressure senders. I hope I get to charge a scooter some day. :D I actually have the switch box open on the table in front of me and am doing some updating. It runs off of battery power through a square wave inverter. The switch allows battery power to the inverter until I plug the van in through the receptacle on the driver's side. One relay switches the outlets to run off of shore power and another cuts the twelve volts going to the inverter to eliminate any floating issues. A 10 amp smart battery charger is energized in the process to make sure the Sprinter stays fully charged. I am inordinately proud of the set up. Can ya tell? :D :D :D Since this is a high top Sprinter, closing the side door turns the van into a changing room. It's a fully fiber glassed cargo interior with drains for any water coming off of the gear. The only thing I really need/want to add is forced ventilation when the van is plugged in. More pictures here: 2005 Sprinter

Mostly batteries. I use rechargeable batteries for my cave lights and AI wireless pressure senders. I hope I get to charge a scooter some day. :D I actually have the switch box open on the table in front of me and am doing some updating. It runs off of battery power through a square wave inverter. The switch allows battery power to the inverter until I plug the van in through the receptacle on the driver's side. One relay switches the outlets to run off of shore power and another cuts the twelve volts going to the inverter to eliminate any floating issues. A 10 amp smart battery charger is energized in the process to make sure the Sprinter stays fully charged. I am inordinately proud of the set up. Can ya tell? :D :D :D Since this is a high top Sprinter, closing the side door turns the van into a changing room. It's a fully fiber glassed cargo interior with drains for any water coming off of the gear. The only thing I really need/want to add is forced ventilation when the van is plugged in. More pictures here: 2005 Sprinter
This is the coolest thing I've heard today. I would love to have this kind of setup when I have my own place some day. =)

Pete have you given any thought to solar panels on the top of the van? That way you could run a vent fan whenever you are parked to dry things out and recharge the batteries.

Pete have you given any thought to solar panels on the top of the van? That way you could run a vent fan whenever you are parked to dry things out and recharge the batteries.
The van is pretty high as it is. I am giving some thought to putting a rack up there for Kayaks, but that would really keep me from a lot of drive throughs like banks and such.

I'm not a fan of drive throughs so I say go for it. My duallie didn't fit in a lot of drive throughs so I'm biased.

i think there are 2 different discussions going on here...

1) i belive the op is asking about best means for a dive operation to store unassigned gear.
2) the answers seem to be about best means for divers to store assigned gear.

They intersect in that if you jam wet stuff together in a compact storage, you'll end up with stinky mouldy gear your customers won't appreciate much. Baking it in the sun first is much better though it will accelerate fading. And you have to have plenty of sunlight available. Ideally you'd want drying space in a shade with lots of warm air, and compact well-organized storage space, and a convenient way to get the gear from one to the other to the customers. And fries with that.

Back
Top Bottom